38. VALERIA: LOSING OUR BABY

One week turned into two and still, there was no word from Devon.

No phone calls or messages—nothing. It felt like a part of my heart had been ripped off. He was the missing person to our triangle.

The pregnancy wasn't making it easy on me either. The morning sickness was becoming worse every passing second. I hated it. I hated the fact that I couldn't eat what I wanted to. I hated the fact that my activities were limited because of the pregnancy. I always felt tired, not to mention the lower back pain I suffered from.

A few days after I arrived here, Mel talked me into working at the diner with her. It was fun until all the aches and pains started. Then I just started to hate it and refused to go with her. I'd spend my day wandering around the house or curling up with a book. But then I'd lose interest in the book too. I didn't feel like doing anything anymore, even with David now by my side.

He talked me into doing simple things like taking a walk outside, driving into town to go watch a movie or just do some window shopping. He basically forced me out of the house. I started to hate him for that too. All I wanted to do was curl up in bed and forget the fact that I was pregnant.

"How about we head into town for a movie?" David asked from the doorway. "There's a new one showing. I think you'll like it."

I ignored him and tried to focus on the blooming flowers in the backyard instead of the lingering pain in my back and lower stomach. It seemed to be growing worse with every passing second. I pressed a hand against my stomach and leaned forward slightly. I could hear David moving closer to me. Pulling my hand away from my stomach, I reached up to grip the necklace.

David sighed as he took a seat in front of me. He placed a hand on my knee and squeezed. I looked up at him then. His eyes darted over my face.

"You've been in here since yesterday, doll," he muttered. "I thought we agreed that we would take a walk every day at least."

My eyes darted back to the window. My lips parted but no words escaped. I wanted to tell him about the pain but I didn't. I was scared. So fucking scared. What if something happened to the baby and he hated me for it? David sighed loudly again.

"Fine. You don't feel like doing anything?" I shook my head. "How about this then; we can watch some movies or cuddle in bed with some ice cream or brownies. Becky baked some yesterday."

I hesitated but then gave him a nod. He smiled at me, and I instantly smiled back at him. David leaned forward and pressed his lips against my forehead.

"I'll go get everything ready. I expect you to be downstairs in five minutes."

With another kiss against my forehead, he got up and walked out of the room. I watched him until he disappeared before turning back to the window.

My heart was yearning for Devon to be here with us. I needed to hear his voice even if it was for only a few seconds.

Pushing the blanket from my legs, I carefully stood and made my way over to the bedside table. Sinking down on the edge of the bed, I reached for the phone. I knew his number by heart from all those times I wanted to call him but never did. The phone rang twice before he answered.

"Hello?"

Just hearing his voice made tears fill my eyes. How long has it been since I last saw him? How long has it been since he held me and whispered in my ear? How long would I have to wait until he was here with me?

"Hello?"

I licked my lips. "D-Devon."

What little hope I had died down when he ended the call. I stared at the phone for a few more seconds before I lowered it back to the bedside table. I stood with wobbly knees and slowly made my way out of the room. When I reached the top of the stairs, the pain had intensified so badly that I could barely breathe. My surroundings tilted.