70. SILAS: BLOODBATH

A sigh fell from my lips as I stepped into the elevator. My silent partner had been taking good care of the business in my absence. I needn't have worried about a thing. Everything had been taken care of and I handed most of the projects over to him. He would still have to contact me before taking on any new projects. It was one less worry. Now all I had to do was sort the penthouse out and then we'd be on a plane back home.

The elevator door slid open and I stepped out and headed towards the door. I paused with the keys in my hand. Frowning, I sucked in another deep breath. I picked up two unfamiliar scents and the scent of blood. The blood wasn't Lara's, but that didn't help elevate the worry. I gripped the handle and slowly pushed it open.

My heart dropped to my stomach when I took in the scene that greeted me. I quickly pushed the door closed and flicked the lock in place. Low growls filled the silence. I swallowed as I took in the blood splattered walls and footprints on the floor. Moving forward, I stared down at the body beside the couch. He was unrecognizable.

A grunt had my head snapping to the left. "Axel."

I rushed forward and dropped to my knees at his side. He was slumped against the wall with a hand pressed against his lower abdomen. Blood coated his hand and clothes and was slowly starting to pool on the floor around him.

"What happened?"

His eyes flicked and slowly opened. "S-She. . .L-Lara. . .wolf."

Shit! I shouldn't have left her alone. I thought she would be able to handle herself. I bit my wrist and pressed it against Axel's mouth. He tried to turn his head away but I gripped his chin with my other hand and held him still.

"Drink it," I growled. "It'll heal you."

He gagged but swallowed. I pulled my arm away and helped him onto his back. Ripping his shirt, I studied the bullet wound. The bullet was still inside and I needed to get it out before he started to heal. I hesitated for only a few seconds before I used a claw to get the bullet out. Axel screamed and tried to push my hand away. I winced when I pushed my claw a little deeper into his flesh to locate the bullet. Thankfully it hadn't hit any vital organs.

By the time I finally managed to get it out, Axel had passed out but he was quickly healing. I left him on the floor and followed the low growls towards the guest bathroom. I froze halfway there when I spotted Lara in shifted form pacing back and forth. Blood coated her fur and dripped from her mouth along with her saliva. What triggered her sudden shift?

"Lara?"

She spun around and growled. I tensed when her upper body lowered in an attack mode. She flashed teeth and growled again. Lara slowly started to move towards me. She was a predator and stalking her prey.

"Sweetness, it's me, Silas." I slowly lowered to my knees and held my hands out by my sides. "I know you remember me, sweetness."

Another step and another until only a few feet separated us. She licked her upper teeth and her eyes dilated. I didn't want to hurt her. My body tensed in preparation for her attack although it still came as a surprise when she lunged at me. I gripped her neck and held her back. Sharp teeth snapped inches from my face.

Her claws dug into my legs and stomach. It took a lot of effort to pin her to the ground. She almost got the upper hand when I moved to turn her on her side so she couldn't claw at my stomach. I used my belt as a muzzle, my leg to pin her hind legs and my arm to pin her front legs. Lara's growls turned into whines as she continued to trash underneath me.

"It's okay, Lara. It's going to be okay, sweetness." I stroked her fur as I continued to whisper soothing words to her.

Her body stilled and her whines died down. Lara was panting for breath now so I eased some of my weight off her. A cry fell from her lips when her fur started to reseed and her bones snapped back into place. The change back to human was slower and much more painful. A few minutes later Lara lay naked and panting beneath me.