21. DEVON: I'M JEALOUS OF DAVID?

We lost a total of two-hundred and fifty pack members, and three-hundred and five were injured. The elders weren't happy and they demanded answers—answers I couldn't give them yet. How was I supposed to tell them that this attack might have been my fault? If I had kept the precautions in place we would have been prepared. I sighed as I forced my attention back to the list in my hand. Families had to be informed about the deaths of their family members. I hated doing this. I was never good at giving sympathetic words. That was David's job.

My eyes darted over to the door and then the clock. He should've been here about an hour ago. Where was he? Was he still in bed with Val? Were they cuddling or fucking or were they just lying in bed talking? I winced when I thought about last night. My memories were a bit hazy but I could clearly remember how it felt to be inside her. She was so wet, hot and so, so fucking tight. And I fucking passed out on her.

Colour flooded my cheeks in embarrassment. I needed to find a way to make it up to her, to apologize for messing up her first time. I ruined her first time, the words repeated inside my mind.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. A dull thud was starting behind my temples. The day had only just started and I already had a headache forming. It was going to be a long day. Seeing Val would make it better, but I wasn't ready to face her yet. Once I figure out how to make up for what I did, I'll go and see her.

I finished the phone calls and stood. Walking over to the window, I risked a glance outside. All the Christmas decorations had been taken down. Nobody would be celebrating Christmas this year. Not even Val. Does she celebrate Christmas with her aunt, or alone? Would she like to have a tree with presents underneath? What would her reaction be if she woke up with a tree and presents underneath it?

I remembered her reaction when she arrived at the house and saw all the lights. She liked them, so it meant that she liked Christmas. But this year there would be no Christmas celebrations because I fucked things up.

Movement from the corner of my eye made me glance towards it. I frowned as I spotted David making his way through the crowd. I thought he was with Val. Where was she if he wasn't with her? He paused to ask something to one of the women. She shook her head and then said something that made his face crumble. He gave her a nod. I frowned when he just stood there after the woman walked away. David shook his head and then turned in the opposite direction of the house. A few seconds later he disappeared.

A knock on the door made me turn away from the window. "Enter."

The door handle turned and then it slowly opened. I knew who it was even before she entered the office. Val hesitated in the doorway. Her eyes darted around the office before landing on me. She looked a little uncertain. I gave her a small smile and gestured for her to enter the room. The door closed softly behind her. Awkwardness surrounded us, which made me feel uncertain I wasn't sure how to react after last night, and that was a first.

"Is David back yet?"

I bit back the growl that threatened to escape. Where was the sudden burst of jealousy coming from?

"No. Why are you looking for him? Maybe I can help."

"I asked him to check on Abby," she said softly. "I met her last night. She got separated from her parent's right before the attack. Abby was injured."

I thought back to David's interaction with the woman. Whatever she had told him wasn't good news. I moved towards her but paused when she glanced away. Was she mad at me? Did I fuck up so bad?

"What can I do to help?" she asked softly. "It feels strange just doing nothing."

"You can't leave the house without guards, Val. There are none available to escort you at the moment," the lie easily slipped from my lips.