83. LARA: THE WICKED BITCH OF THE PACK

"You really are pathetic."

I tensed when Avery spoke from my left. My hands clutched the arms of the chair to keep myself in place. I wanted to rip her into piece but I couldn't allow that to happen. I couldn't shift because then I could possibly lose my babies. I continued to take deep and steady breaths as she walked further into the room. My eyes were glued to her when she walked around the bed on his other side.

My skin tingle as Avery reached out and placed a hand on his chest that was free of bandages. Her hand slowly trailed up until she cupped his cheek. I bit back a growl when she leaned down and pressed a kiss against his forehead.

"My poor, poor baby," she muttered. "Look at what she's done to you."

"I didn't do anything to him," I sneered.

She straightened and glared at me. "Yes you did. It's your fault that he's in this hospital bed."

I swallowed and dropped my eyes to stare at Silas. The doctor had assured me that he would be fine. Unfortunately he would forever bear the scars on his body. Even his shifter genres wouldn't help him heal from this.

"He ran into the building again because of you." My eyes snapped up to Avery. "He ran inside again to rescue Ethan. If it wasn't for you, he wouldn't have suffered like he had. If it wasn't for you, Ethan wouldn't be dead. If it wasn't—"

"Shut up!" I screamed, jumping up form my chair. "I didn't do anything! It's not my fault!"

"It is your fault!" she yelled. "This all started because of you! You should've fucking stayed where ever you came from. Pathetic humans like you don't belong here."

I flashed sharp teeth at her. "I'm no longer human, remember. I kicked your ass and if Silas hadn't stopped me, you would've been dead. I would've killed you for everything you've done to them."

Her lips parted but before she could utter a word, the door opened and a nurse stepped inside. I growled at the woman who quickly left again. My eyes shot over to Avery when she moved. I managed to dodge the clawed hand that flew at my face just in time.

"I hate you!" she screamed as she tried to punch me again. "You ruined everything! They were mine! They belonged to me."

My back hit the wall, making me realize that she had backed me into a corner. Avery's arms were covered in fur and her eyes had turned black. My eyes dropped to her mouth when she flashed sharp teeth at me.

"It was suppose to be you," she snarled. "You were suppose to run into that fire not Silas. You were suppose to die not them."

"Them?" I questioned, confused. "Only Ethan died in that fire, Avery."

The colour drained from her face. She stumbled backwards and glared down at the floor. Just as fast as she lost her composure, she regained it again. She glanced at Silas and then at me as she stumbled towards the door.

"I'll make s-sure he gets punished for what he had done to my brother."

The door slammed shut behind her. I listened to her footsteps as it faded before I stepped away from the wall. Taking deep breaths, I walked over to the bed and stared down at Silas. Was it true? Had he ran into that fire because of me? My frown deepened as his words from before flashed through my mind.

***

"Hey darling, how are you feeling today?"

Luca blinked up at me but made no sound. I stroked a finger down his cheek before I carefully slipped my arms underneath his small body to pick him up. His eyes darted over my face before moving away. Ever since the fire and Luca hadn't made a sound. He would cry—tears would stream down his cheeks—but no sound would leave his mouth.