#3 * MATED TO SISTERS * 1. ARIANA: THE HUMAN WORLD

The music in my ears was low enough to hear the conversation taking place between my sister and dad. Eva was telling him about all the great activities Sewn Lake College had to offer and everything she was planning on participating in.

It was all a lie.

Eva was only planning on attending the college for one reason. A reason we both knew would make Dad lock us up.

I was only going along with my sister's plan because the college had a great art program. She knew I'd be interested in it and she managed to talk me into it.

The forms had been filed, our acceptance letters delivered to the pack and then the bills had been paid.

But as Dad drove us to our new home until we graduated, I was starting to regret my decision.

Something about it felt. . .wrong.

Maybe it was just the fact that I was about to step out of my comfort zone. Maybe it was because we were about to enter human territory, or maybe it was just because I knew that Eva was going to do something stupid the first chance she got.

I loved my sister but I hated her restlessness and constant urge to try something new. She always dragged me down the rabbit hole with her.

Letting out a sigh, I unlocked my phone to skip the song and then focused on the passing scenery again.

Two more hours and then we'd be entering town.

My stomach clenched with nerves and fear. We'd be staying in Sewn for a year, maybe even longer if Eva found a reason to stay. I'd be forced to stay with her because according to Dad we were safer together.

"Ari?"

My eyes snapped to the front of the car. I hesitated and then reached up to pull the earphones from my ears. Dad's eyes locked with mine in the rear-view mirror for a few seconds before he focused back on the road.

"Are you okay, honey bee?" he asked. "You seem a bit nervous."

I smiled. "I am."

"And not even a little excited?"

"Not really," I muttered.

"Of course she is," Eva exclaimed. "You know how Eva is daddy. She overthinks everything."

"I can't help it," I told her.

"Overthinking things isn't going to get you anywhere, Ari. It's why you've experienced so little in life."

Dad chuckled as he caught my eyes again for a few seconds. "I hate to say this, but your sister's right. It's okay to stop overthinking things and just enjoy the moment."

I rolled my eyes and pushed my earphones back into my ears. Pressing play, I dropped my phone onto my lap and leaned my forehead against the cool window.

They didn't understand.

***

I felt sicker by each passing second.

We just passed the sign welcoming us to town. A few minutes later Dad turned off onto the main street.

"Breathe, Ari," Dad ordered softly.

I sucked in a breath after I realized that I'd been holding it.

Reaching up, I ripped the earphone out and stuffed my phone into my bag. My heart was beating a mile a minute the deeper we drove into town.

There were humans everywhere I looked.

Without even realizing it, my hands drifted to my stomach and my fingers traced the scars over my shirt. Everything was still fresh in my mind. It felt like it had happened only yesterday instead of nine years ago. The brutality of the attack was something that would never be forgotten. I had the memories and the scars to prove it.