11. VALERIA: HIS BLOOD CHANGED ME

I knew something was different the moment I woke up but I wasn't sure what had changed. I felt different—lighter.

Opening my eyes, I stared at the wall across from me. Confusion filled me but it lasted for only a second. Memories resurfaced. I shivered and pulled the blanket higher up. David's smell filled my nostrils. My mind blanked. I sucked in another deep breath and then turned onto my back. A groan fell from my lips as I stretched. It felt good. Movement from my left drew my attention. I turned my head.

David sat in a chair next to the bed. His body was slumped to the side with his chin resting on his chest. I took a few seconds to admire him. So sexy.

I kicked the blankets away before sitting up. My eyes dropped down my body to take everything in. I still looked the same. Why was I feeling so different? Hair slipped into my line of vision so I reached up and pushed it out of my eyes. A grimace made its way onto my face when I felt the knots in my hair. It was going to be very painful to get all of them out.

The chair creaked, instantly snapping my attention towards him. David straightened with a groan. He rubbed a hand down his face and then through his hair before he looked up. He seemed to freeze for a few seconds before moving. I gasped when his big hands cupped my cheeks as he sunk down on the bed next to me. His dark eyes trailed over my face a few times before locking with mine.

"H-hi," I croaked.

He smiled and leaned his forehead against mine. "Hi."

"Are you okay?"

"Shouldn't I be the one asking you that?" he asked softly. "How are you feeling, doll?"

"Good." I smiled at him as I reached up to grip his shoulders. "I feel different but good."

"Different how?" He frowned at me.

"I don't know how to explain it. I feel like something about me has changed but I don't know what yet."

A loud howl made me jerk in fright. Our heads snapped towards the window. Three more howls filled the air. The sound of the first lingered—it sounded so sad. My heart went out to the person who felt so much pain. I pulled his hands from my face and crawled across the bed. Pulling the curtain open, I leaned forward to look outside. A fresh layer of snow covered the ground and treetops.

My eyes darted to the right when movement caught my attention.

I watched the big wolf darting through the trees. It disappeared for a few seconds before running into sight again. It slowed until he stopped a few feet from the house. Shaking out its fur, it took a few more steps towards the house and then paused. It tilted its head slightly.

"Is that Devon?"

David pressed his chest against my back as he leaned forward to look out the window. "Yes. Do you want to go and meet him?"

I was nodding even before he had finished his question. He smiled at me and held out his hand. I didn't hesitate; I slipped my hand into his and followed him out of the room. David led the way down the stairs and towards the back entrance of the house. The door opened before we reached it. Devon entered completely naked. He raised his head and froze. His eyes darted from David to me.

"Valeria," he whispered a second before he moved. "You're awake."

He had me smashed to his chest in a bear hug before I could utter a word. I hesitated for a second before wrapping my arms around his waist. Devon's chest rumbled against mine as he growled close to my ear. His hands slid down my back to my hips. He gripped them and lifted me. My hands shot out to grip his shoulders to steady myself.