48. LUCAS: CHANGES

My fingers clutched the sheets tightly as Emeric peeled the bandages from my back.

"Shit."

"What?" I breathed. "Please don't tell me that it's infected."

"The paste we use is to prevent infections," Grayson muttered as he turned away from the window.

"It's done more than that." Emeric gestured his brother closer. "Take a look at this."

With a frown, Grayson walked closer and stopped next to the bed. I stared at his face to try and read his expression. "What?" I asked when his frown deepened.

"You're almost healed." He leaned closer. "That's not possible. My blood should have worked out of your system by now."

I closed my eyes and loosened my hold on the sheets. It was probably the time to tell them that Ariana had fed me some of her blood. But I didn't want to share that intimate details.

My mouth watered and the urge to taste it again hit me hard.

"Where's Ariana?"

I opened my eyes and tilted my head to get a better look at him when he didn't answer. Grayson was staring intently at my back.

"In their rooms."

"I—"

"You shouldn't have left either," Emeric interrupted me. "You were just as stupid as them."

Checking on things had just been an excuse to go get some of my weapons. Mother had a secret spot in the basement where she hid everything from Samuel.

I expected him to be at work because his truck hadn't been parked in the driveway, but he had been home, and apparently he had been waiting for me.

The one thing Samuel hated was the people talking about him.

In his haste to find Ariana, Oliver had asked around town for me, and word had gotten back to him.

"Samuel's dead," I blurted before I could stop myself.

Both of them froze.

Swallowing, I pushed myself up onto my elbows. The skin over my back pulled tight as I slowly sat up. Nausea hit.

A groan fell from my lips as bile rose in my throat.

Grayson cursed and disappeared for a second before returning with a bucket. I emptied the contents of my stomach until I was left dry-heaving. Once I was done, I handed the bucket to him and then slowly lay back down.

"I-I don't feel so good," I croaked.

"This is disgusting," Emeric growled. "None of his food had been digested."

Grayson snarled at him. "Just go get rid of it."

The door closed softly behind him. I could feel Grayson staring down at me for a few more minutes before he moved. A loud squeaked filled room moments later.

I sighed when I felt the cool breeze blowing over my skin.

"Did you kill him?"

I forced my heavy lids open to look at him. "No."

"Tell me what happened."

"Promise me that you won't have Ariana punished."

He frowned. "Why would I do that?" Grayson took a seat on the edge of the bed and reached for the bowl on the bedside table.

I clutched the sheets again and squeezed my eyes closed when he started cleaning my back with warm water.

"Lucas."