#2 * MATED TO BROTHERS * 1. LARA: THE MYSTERIOUS STRANGER

****** NOTE THESE BOOKS WERE WRITTEN A LONG TIME AGO. IT'S UNEDITED WITH A LOT OF SPELLING AND GRAMMAR MISTAKES *******

"Why did I agree to this?"

"Because you love me and you want me to be happy." Andrea smiled widely at me. "Besides, you owe me for covering two of your shifts."

"I was sick so that doesn't count," I muttered as I pulled on my black pants. "You just had to choose the busiest night to change shifts."

"Sorry babe."

Andrea shrugged and blinked her eyes at me. She looked anything but sorry. If it was anyone else, I would have high-tailed it out of here already, but since I knew how much this weekend meant to her, I couldn't just drop her. Besides, I knew Andrea would be there when I needed her to step in for me. Then there was also the fact some extra money would do me good.

Walking over to the closet, I pulled the door open and reached inside for the button down uniform shirt. The bar was a well-known for its famous beer and weekly performances. It was also the only place where people got together no matter what day or time it was. It wasn't my ideal job, but it kept a roof over my head and food in my stomach.

After pulling on my shirt and buttoning it, I headed into the small bathroom to brush my hair and braid it. At least we weren't expected to wear short skirts and shirts that barely covered our chest. The boss was a man in his late fifties that started the bar with two of his friends. Rumours has been circling around that they were planning on selling. It was another worry to add to the already long list. I couldn't afford to lose this job. Not when I'm so close to finally finding a light at the end of the tunnel.

"You're not mad at me?" Andrea asked softly. "I know you had plans for this weekend and you had to cancel them because of me."

I walked over to Andrea and stopped in front of her. Giving her a smile, I flicked a strand of hair away from her cheek. "I'm not mad at you. To be honest, I'm glad that you asked me to cover your shifts. It's way better than what I had planned for this weekend."

"I'll make it up to you."

"Sure," I muttered. "If I find a man that wants to sweep me off my feet by taking me away for an island retreat, you can definitely cover my shifts."

We laughed but inside my heart was yearning for a relationship like hers. They've been together for a year and a half. Like every other couple, they fight but they couldn't stay long without making up. Brian had asked me to help him chose an engagement ring for Andrea. It was why he was taking her away and why I was so eager to cover for her. Andrea deserved to be happy after all the shit she has been through and Brian was the perfect man to make her happy.

"You should get packing and I should get going or I'm going to be late."

A few minutes later we both walked out of my small apartment. We rode the elevator down and then headed our separate ways. I walked the two blocks to the bar and headed through the alley to the back door. Kenzie had made it clear that he didn't like the employees using the front entrance. Although the man was laid back and humorous, he had some pretty strict rules he expected us to follow.

I sighed as I walked down the hall to the locker room. Locking my bag in my locker, I tied on my apron and headed to the front. The moment I stepped through the doors the loud chatter of the usual Friday crowd filled my ears. I took a moment to glance around before I headed for the bar. It was the usuals except for the group of burly men that sat in the back corner. Unease made my stomach roll but I pushed it aside.

I could handle a drunk—as long as they didn't gang up on me.

"Two beers and some of those nuts you have."