35. VALERIA: ALPHA ALARK AND HIS VERY HUMAN MATE

We're sending you away for a while.

Pain shot through me. They didn't want me here anymore. Was this his way of saying that he didn't want the baby? Was he too scared to say it to my face? I clenched my fists at my side. I knew they were going to regret it. All I've given them were problems. Even his father was trying to kill me. I tensed when David stepped up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"We don't want to, but we have no other choice right now," David said softly.

Devon nodded. "A lot of pack members are still loyal to my father. He managed to talk them into siding with him. We got to you in time this time, but what if this happens again and we're too late?"

"We wouldn't be able to handle it."

"I can stay with you," I whispered, but he was already shaking his head.

"You're pregnant Val. Someone could slip something into your food or drinks and we wouldn't be aware of it. You should be as far away from here while we sort this out."

"So you're sending me away to go live with some strangers? What makes them trustworthy? Who—"

"Alark and his mate are our friends. I do trust them with your life because I know that they will do anything possible to protect you. This isn't something that's up for debate. You will be leaving with them. End of discussion." Devon stood and stared down at me with narrowed eyes. "Go shower and get dressed. You leave in an hour."

I jumped when he slammed the bedroom door shut behind him. Tears filled my eyes. How could he do that? Order me to go with strangers. He was worried about his pack and not about how I would feel leaving with strangers. How long was I supposed to stay with them? Would I ever be able to return to my pack, to them?

It's not your pack. They don't want you. They hate you. I pushed the little voice in my head to the back of my mind.

Pulling out of David's arms, I walked out of the bedroom and towards my own. We usually slept in the master bedroom, but that's all.

When I entered my bedroom my eyes were instantly drawn to the two suitcases on the bed. The same suitcases I had packed when Aunt informed me of visiting this pack. They had already packed my clothes. It was clear just how badly they wanted me to leave. I squeezed my eyes closed and sucked in a few deep breaths.

Once I had managed to stop the tears from falling, I opened the suitcase to pull out some clothes. They wanted me gone, fine. I won't be coming back then. They could find themselves another mate who wouldn't cause them so much trouble.

***

Melinda was completely human and mated to a full-blooded Alpha.

It was clear by just looking at them that they loved each other very much. They constantly touched, even if it was just a brush against the hand or arm. The relationship they had made jealousy fill me. Why couldn't I have that with Devon and David? Why was it so hard for the pack to just accept me?

"You will love it," Melinda said softly. "It's a lot different than Devon's pack. Everyone is a lot more open-minded, even the elders."

"That's because they have known you since you were a three-year-old," Alark spoke from the front of the truck. "Mel's parents adopted her and raised her with the pack."

"I'm sure she doesn't want to hear my boring story, Alark."

I could feel her eyes burning into the side of my face, but I refused to glance at her. David had introduced us. I was forced to listen to them making small talk for half an hour before Devon had explained everything that had happened. It was also mentioned that I was in the early stages of pregnancy. The couple was enthusiastic about the news. David and Devon were hugged and congratulated.