56. ETHAN: SHOCKING NEWS

I couldn't shake off the unease that filled me. Something was wrong and I had no idea what. Was Lara in trouble? Silas? I hurried my steps towards the study. It's been a few weeks since I last heard from him. Pain shot through my chest, had Lara finally made it clear that she was no longer interested in me? I rubbed a hand against my chest but it did nothing to lessen the pain. When I entered the study, I hurried inside but came to a stop when I spotted Avery.

Dismay washed through me. I quickly masked my expression and bit back the groan that wanted to escape. "What do you want, Avery?"

She gave me a smile that was really starting to grate at my nerves. My hate towards her grew every single day. I sucked in a deep breath and slowly blew it out. My eyes followed her as she moved around the couch and towards me.

I flinched when she placed her hand on my arm. Her touch burned but not in the good way like Lara's. Her eyes narrowed but she didn't comment on my reaction towards he like she usually would.

"I've decided on a date for the Mating Ceremony."

I swallowed and stepped away from her. Walking around her, I headed over to the desk and sunk down in the chair. I was running out of excuses as to why the ceremony had to be postponed. Mom had been nagging too.

"When?"

"The fifth of October."

In five days. She wanted to have the Mating Ceremony in five days. Then it would be over. There would be no hope of ever starting a relationship with Lara. I'd be stuck with Avery for the rest of my life. How long would I be able to live through that before I ended up killing her or myself?

I licked my lips but no excuse came to mind. There was no choice but to agree so I nodded at her. "I'll tell everyone to start the preparations."

Satisfaction filled her eyes. She gave me a cheeky smile before she hurried out of the room. My eyes narrowed as I stared at the slightly ajar door. That wasn't the only reason she was in here, was it? My eyes darted around the room but nothing was out of place. Before I could pounder over it any longer, my phone starting ringing.

I leaned back in the chair to pull my phone from my pants pocket. Wrin's name flashed across the screen, making me hesitate. It would only be related to pack business and I couldn't handle any pack business now. But something told me that I needed to answer.

"Wrin."

"We have a situation," he said.

I frowned. "What kind of situation?"

"I'm at the border on the East. There's a man here demanding to speak to you. He refuses to talk to anyone else. Says that it's important."

"Send him to the pack house then." I stood and walked over to the window to stare outside at the pack members moving about.

Wrin cleared his throat and lowered his voice. "That won't be such a good idea." He paused. "He's not a Lycan."

"What? He's human then?"

"No, he's cat shifter. Besides, he's in a hurry."

I hesitated. "Fine. I'm coming."

When I turned around I caught a glimpse of Avery's retreating form. I sneered and raced out of the study but she had already disappeared. A whiff of her strong perfume stayed behind, giving her away. If she was listening in on my conversation then she was definitely going to follow me. A plan formed making a smirk tug at my lips. She may think that's she's smart, but I was smarter.

I entered the study again and slammed the door shut before softly twisting the lock into place. With my ear pressed against the wood, I listened but after five minutes had passed and there was no sound, I turned and headed for the window. Opening it, I glanced outside to make sure that the coast was clear before I jumped out of the window.