22. VALERIA: MEETING WRIN

"Again."

Left, right, left. Punch duck, punch, kick, dodge, and repeat. I repeated the instructions in my mind as I moved. My lungs burned as I struggled to catch my breath. Sweat poured down me and dripped onto the thick exercise mats beneath my feet.

When I woke up this morning, the living room had been turned into a kind of exercise room for me. The furniture had been moved away and mats placed down in the middle of the room along with some small equipment I was told to use.

David hadn't returned home last night, but I learned that he was helping to restore some houses that were destroyed. He was supposed to find out about Abby.

A punch to my hip made me stumble backward. I tried to block the next hit but failed. My back hit the mat hard enough to knock what little air I had from my lungs. I blinked up at the ceiling as pain shot through me. How have I never noticed how unfit I had gotten?

"You need to concentrate!" Devon yelled. "Letting your mind wander during a battle will get you killed or seriously injured, Val."

I squeezed my eyes shut and willed the tears that suddenly filled my eyes to go away. I ached. My body ached everywhere. I could feel the start of a headache forming. Devon was still talking but I blocked him out.

I knew the importance of learning to fight but the least he could do was just give me a little break. I especially knew how important it was for him to know that I'd be able to defend myself if I had to. What I needed to know was why they were so set on me learning now. Was it because of the attack?

"Fuck." Devon suddenly hovered above me. "Are you okay? Val? I'm sorry I didn't mean to hit you so hard. Val, look at me."

"I'm fine," I whispered.

He placed one hand on my hip and the other moved damp strands of hair from my face. "Look at me."

I hesitated and then slowly opened my eyes. Our eyes instantly locked. He searched my eyes before glancing down at my stomach. I flinched when he probed the place where his fist connected. It was tender and I was sure a bruise was already forming.

"I'll call a doctor."

"You don't need to." Reaching up, I cupped his cheeks and tugged his face down to mine. "I'm okay."

"I hit you hard—"

I leaned up and pressed my lips against his. Devon instantly fell silent. His lips parted, but he made no move to take over the kiss. I kissed him until we both had to break away to suck air into our lungs.

Devon stared down at me with a look I couldn't place. He pushed my knees apart and settled between my legs with his elbow next to my shoulder to keep the weight of his body off me. I leaned into his touch when he cupped my cheek. For someone who was injured only a day ago, he seemed fine. He's not human, Val, that little voice inside my head whispered.

"Valeria," he breathed. "I—"

There was a loud knock on the door and a second later the door was thrown wide open before Devon could tell the person to enter. Devon tensed, and let out a loud, warning growl.

A strange sound reached my ears. I turned my head slightly to glance up at whoever had entered. My eyes widened. He wasn't a man, nor was he fully animal. Dark eyes locked with mine for a second before darting over to the man hovering above me.

"Wrin," Devon muttered, making no move to get off me.

"Devon," the man answered.

His voice sounded slightly slurred, or maybe it just sounded that way because of the way his jaw was formed.