41. ARIANA: THE TALK

Unable to stay cooped up inside the room any longer. I made my way down the hall towards the kitchen. My mind was still a mess but I hoped that some fresh air would help.

My steps faltered when I reached the kitchen and spotted Dad sitting at the island with a cup of coffee in front of him and his eyes focused on his phone.

We hadn't really talked since we arrived at Grayson's house, and the last thing I needed right now was a speech from him.

Biting my lip, I took a small step back, but just as I was about to spin around, Dad looked up.

"Good morning," he greeted softly.

"Morning daddy." I gripped the hem of my shirt as I entered the kitchen.

His sudden growl startled me.

"That is not..." He trailed off with a shake of his head. "Where's Lucas?"

I shrugged as I slid into a chair.

"Grayson said that he went home," Dad muttered.

"He did," I told him.

"Before or after you had sex?" he asked.

Colour flooded my cheeks in embarrassment. Lifting my shirt to my nose, I sniffed it but all I could smell was me and some of Lucas's scent. Eva had pointed it out too and now Dad which meant that Grayson and his brother had smelled it too.

Dad sighed, locked his phone and placed it aside. He scratched at the stubble on his chin before he linked his fingers together and watched me with an all too familiar look.

"You're going to give me the talk again, aren't you?" I asked him when he continued to stare at me.

"It depends. Do I need to?"

I instantly shook my head. "I still wish Grandma had told as about sex and stuff."

Dad chuckled. "You still remember it, don't you?"

"It's hard to forget."

We shared a smile but it quickly faded as the seriousness returned to his eyes.

"I know that sex it unavoidable when it comes to your mate, but I hope to god that you're being responsible and using protection." Dad reached out to rub his knuckles against my cheek. "You're not ready to have kids because you're still just a kid yourself. The fact that you barely know Lucas is also something I have to point out."

For a moment I was hit by a sudden wave of panic but I quickly pushed it aside. Lucas and I hadn't used a condom the first time we had sex but we had used one last night and this morning.

But I knew better than to think that the chances of me falling pregnant after only one time of unprotected sex were slim.

"Ariana? You're using condoms, aren't you?"

I couldn't look him in the eyes. "W-we didn't the first time we. . .but we did last night and. . .uuu. . .this morning."

He muttered a curse as he jumped to his feet. His voice rose by the second, making me hunch my shoulders. Sweat broke out over my forehead and upper lip. My hands clutched the hem of my shirt as my teeth sunk into my bottom lip.

"I thought you were the responsible one," Dad yelled. "You have more fucking common sense than your sister."

My heartbeat increased and my breathing sped up. From beneath my lashes I glanced around, searching for a place where I could hide.

Dad's voice lowered and then he fell silent. My eyes slowly rose to his. With his back to me, he gripped the counter tightly and sucked air into his lungs. Dad stayed like that long enough for me to calm down.