49. LARA: TRADEGY

"Are you okay, sweetness?" Silas questioned as he knocked on the door again. "You've been in there for a while."

My eyes instantly dropped to the crimson stains on my panties. I hesitated, but decided to answer him. "I'm b-bleeding."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm bleeding, Silas."

My head snapped up when the bathroom door opened and he stepped inside. Colour flooded my cheeks. I was sitting on the toilet with my husband-to-be only a few feet way. There were just some things that you didn't share—married or not. His eyes dropped to my panties before darting back up to mine. Colour flooded his cheeks.

"That's not normal, is it?" he asked with worry.

I shook my head and dropped my gaze to my panties around my ankles. Bleeding wasn't normal and I was pretty sure neither were the back pain nor cramping. It was only faint, but it had intensified since this morning.

"I'll call the doctor."

"Silas?" He paused with his hand on the doorknob. "Do you hate me?"

"This isn't a conversation to have with you sitting on the toilet, Lara."

"Okay." I licked my lips. "C-Can you maybe just b-bring me my b-bag? I need clean panties and—"

"Right."

I stared at the door after he left. Things between us just haven't been the same since we've returned to Ethan's house after the kidnapping. Silas was attentive but a lot more distant. It worried me that he didn't want to marry me anymore because of what happened between Ethan and me. We haven't talked about what happened either.

Maybe we should. Communication was key to any relationship, I knew that. But I was scared of what could be said. I loved Silas with all my heart and I didn't want to lose him, but maybe I already had. I blinked away the tears that filled my eyes. I was to blame if our relationship fell apart.

There was a knock on the door and a second later it opened again. Silas gave me a small smile and held out a clean pair of panties and my toiletry bag. I took it from him with a muttered thanks. A second later I was once again alone in the bathroom again. After taking a quick shower, I got dressed and entered the bedroom.

Every step made me aware of the pain in my abdomen and lower back. By the time I reached the bed, my legs felt like jelly and the room was spinning. It felt like I was on my period—the pain was the same—but more intense.

Dread washed through me as I collapse on the edge of the bed. Just when I thought that things were going to be okay, it got worse. I bit back the sob that wanted to escape. There was no use crying. Crying was only going to make me feel worse.

"I called the doctor," Silas said as he entered the room again. "He'll be here—"

"You need to take me to the hospital Silas," I told him in a wobbly voice.

"Lara?" He crouched in front of me. "Is the bleeding worse?"

I shook my head. When I parted my lips, the sob I stopped earlier, escaped. Silas cupped my cheeks and leaned closer. I watched him through blurry eyes.

"Talk to me sweetness."

"Silas," I gasped. "Something's very w-wrong. W-we need to g-go to the h-hospital."

"Okay."

He stood and slipped an arm under my knees and around my back. I was thankful for the fact that he carried me. I didn't think I'd be able to walk down the stairs. Silas moved quickly but carefully. I buried my face against his neck and gripped his shoulders tightly. A whimper fell from my lips when another sharp pain shot through my abdomen.