17. DEVON: SIDE EFFECTS

I winced when Doc Ali probed the wound with gloved fingers. She worked silently until the wound was bandaged. Throwing away the bloodied cotton she had used, she pulled off the gloves and threw them away before turning towards me. Concern flashed through her eyes as she watched me.

"How many injured?" I asked softly.

"I'm not sure. They are still bringing them in."

"Where the woman and children found?"

She nodded. "Alpha David called half an hour ago to let us know. Five children were critically injured and about twenty-five women. I haven't been updated on their progress yet."

I nodded and glanced down at the bandage on my chest. My mind trailed off. Where was Valeria? Was she safe with David? Everything happened too fast. We were unprepared for an attack. If we had some forewarning we wouldn't have lost so many pack members. The number of deaths was still unknown. They attacked the weak—those who decided to stay home rather than join the festivities—before hitting the square. If only we knew what was coming. . .

Valeria's words on Friday morning raced through my mind. She had a feeling something was going to happen. I let my guard down when nothing happened on Friday. I thought she was just nervous about the announcement. I didn't think something was going to happen. Everything with the rogues was sorted. We through the danger had passed. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I growled when Doc Ali stepped closer. She paused and slightly lowered her head, but kept her eyes locked on mine. She allowed her eyes to trail over me. Ali wasn't hiding the fact that she was checking me out. My irritation rose.

"Would you like some help with that Alpha?" she purred, staring at my crotch.

I growled, jumping to my feet when she reached out to touch me. We had come a long way when we were freed. They had used drugs in the test trials, drugs that helped us whenever we needed it now. But the side effects I hated about the healing drug, was the fact that it made you horny, and aggressive. An image of Val raced through my mind. My cock hardened more.

"I'll take care of you, Alpha. You can take me as hard and rough as you like."

She pressed her hand against the small of my back. I growled a warning but she ignored it. Spinning around, I backhanded her which sent her stumbling backward. I took a step towards her, but the door opened. My head snapped in that direction. David took everything in within a few seconds. He turned and muttered something to someone behind him. Whoever it was didn't listen. David stumbled backward into the room with a small grunt. My eyes snapped to the woman who entered after him. Our eyes locked for a few seconds before she looked at Doc Ali. Her eyes widened. Valeria took a step towards her but then froze.

"You hit her?" she asked softly.

I licked my lips. "She was touching me."

"And that gives you enough reason to hit her?" Her eyes flashed with anger.

My eyes dropped. Another growl rumbled from my chest when I saw the blood on her hands and clothes. I moved forward and gripped her wrist to raise her hands to my nose. My body relaxed when I realized that it wasn't her blood. I hesitated and then wrapped my arms around her. With my nose pressed against her neck, I breathed her in. The sweet smell of her fear mingled with her scent, sweat, blood, and other pack members. The beast rose. My gums started to ache.

I parted my lips and brushed them along her skin. The sound of David's voice faded to the background. Val was in my arms. She was safe. But she could've been dead or seriously injured. My hold on her tightened. I nipped at her neck with my sharp teeth, making her body jerk.