14. VALERIA: I CAN FEEL IT IN MY GUT

The first Lycan was born on April the 20th 1969. Instead of being taught how to do normal things, they were taught how to shift forms, fight, and use weapons. They were locked in cages with a single cot, a toilet, and a hose to use as a shower. They were fed raw steak twice a day. So basically their lives were hell. The journals were written by a few of the elders who were willing enough to retell the hell they lived in for years. They were subjected to a lot of abuse for drug tests. Where David refused to tell me the details, the journals were very graphic. I had to stop a few times just to stop crying and catch my breath. I couldn't imagine the pain and suffering they had to endure.

The last journal told the story of the first Lycan born outside captivity. The man told of everything they had to go through before they could settle down. I loved the way every single detail was described. The first baby was born in skin and only learned how to shift after his sixth birthday. He was weaker and lacked a lot of abilities. Every time a new child was born, they grew weaker and weaker. It was discovered later on that those who have bred had similar DNA. Packs were formed and that was how they evolved.

I finished the last journal and searched the library for more books. There were no more about the history but a lot about the traditions that were started; including the Mating Ceremony. In the pack, I came from we never celebrated this way. They bit their mate to stake their claim. It was never announced in front of the whole pack. There were illustrations drawn of everything—including the breeding that happened after the ceremony. I had sneaked the book up to my room to read without being interrupted.

The men were busy with pack business. They were locked in the study with men going in and out every few seconds. They were worried, but about what I didn't know. Devon refused to discuss anything with me. He said that he didn't want to worry me, so I didn't push for answers. Everything was going great. Arrangements for the Christmas party were being made. It would be the first time I would be spending Christmas with anyone. I was excited.

But I woke up Friday morning with a feeling of dread. My stomach was in knots and the feeling that something bad was about to happen, wasn't fading. I finished my usual morning routine before heading downstairs for breakfast. David was seated by the table when I arrived. I frowned, searching for Devon.

"He's on the phone," David said softly as if reading my mind. "Take a seat, doll. Breakfast is getting cold."

I walked over to the chair he indicated to. Stopping next to it, I stared down at it for a few seconds before I glanced up at him. He wasn't dressed yet. My eyes took every inch of his naked skin in. I walked around the table and stopped next to his chair. David glanced up in surprise. His eyebrows rose when I took a seat on his lap.

"What are you doing?"

Instead of answering, I snuggled closer and pressed my face against his neck. His arms wrapped around my waist to hug me against him, and his cheek rubbed against my forehead. David sighed.

"What's wrong, Val?" he asked softly.

"How do you know that something's wrong?"

"I can sense it. Talk to me."

The tears that filled my eyes were unexpected. I sat up and threw my arms around his neck. He tensed. Words failed me. I didn't know how to explain what I felt. If I told him then he would think that I was crazy.

"All the arrangements have been made. We just—"

I pulled away and glanced over my shoulder at him. Devon hurried closer and crouched next to the chair. He placed his hand on my thigh as his icy eyes searched mine.

"What's wrong? Did something happen?"

I sucked in a sharp breath. "I feel like something bad is going to happen."