28. LARA: UNEXPECTED ATTACK

Silas suddenly jumped to his feet with a growl. I stumbled when he tugged me to my feet a second later. The hair at the nape of my neck stood up as fear filled me. I glanced over my shoulder and instantly wished I hadn't. Two large wolves were slowly approaching us. Sylvia dripped from their mouths onto the ground. Silas pulled me against him and wrapped his arms around my body.

"Silas?"

His arms tightened but he didn't utter a word. I followed his gaze to see a group of four half-dressed men stepping out of the tree line. One of them was walking slightly in front while the others followed a distance away from him.

"Well look what we have here," the leader sneered. "I heard the rumours but I never expected them to be true. I know for a fact that your brother would never allow you to sit foot back on his land after catching you in bed with his fiancé."

My eyes shot up to his in surprise. Ethan caught Silas in bed with his fiancé? I frowned. It just wasn't making sense. Silas would never do something like that, would he? I fisted his shirt when the men spread out to surround us. From the corner of my eyes I watched the wolves pace near the tree line. One of them whined and the other answered with a low growl.

Silas pressed his lips against my ear as his hands slid to my hips. He squeezed. "Don't run."

His words confused me and before I could question him, Silas pushed me away from him. I watched in horror as a one of the wolves jumped over the tree and tackled Silas. They both hit the ground a second later with the wolf on top. Sharp teeth snapped inches from his face. Silas punched the wolf in the side and then pushed it away. He was on his feet just as the men tackled him.

I stumbled to my feet and glanced around. I had to help him even if I had no idea how. My eyes fell on a few rocks to my left. They were medium sized—not big enough to do much damage—but big enough to give Silas a chance to fight back. Grabbing the biggest rock amongst the others, I hurried towards the group of fighting men. I've barely taken a few steps when someone grabbed me from behind.

I screamed and trashed but the hold only tightened. Fingers wrapped around my wrist and squeezed tightly. I cried out when the pain became too agonizing to handle. The rock slipped from my fingers but even then the man didn't stop squeezing my wrist. My breath got caught in my throat when I felt and heard the snap of bone.

"Shit," whoever held me cursed close to my ear.

My knees weakened but his hold kept me up. His hand around my wrist disappeared. Pain shot up my arm, making tears fill my eyes.

"Take your hands off her."

"Or what?" the man snarled. "Your brother isn't here to safe you this time, Silas."

I blinked which made tears spill from my eyes. They slowly rolled down my cheeks and dropped onto the ground. My eyes shot towards Silas.

He stood panting a few feet away. Blood dripped from his nose onto his shirt. His fists were clenched at his side and his narrowed eyes focused on the man holding me. He didn't once lower his eyes to mine. I wished he'd look at me just for a few second so I could make sure that he was okay.

"I'll let her go but then we'll finish what we started. Your brother won't stoop in to safe you again Silas. You won't be able to run away again."

"Fine. Let her go."

The man's hands slid up to grip my upper arms. He chuckled and then pushed me forward. I threw my hands out in front of me to stop my fall which was a big mistake. My injured wrist took the impact first. I cried out as pain shot through me and then darkness surrounded me.

***

It was cold.

So freaking cold. As I became more conscious, I became aware of the birds singing somewhere close by. Leaves rustled as a breeze whispered across my exposed skin. It took all but twenty seconds for me to remember what had happened. A groan fell from my lips as I turned onto my back. I blinked up at the tall trees swaying in the wind. Here and there I caught a glimpse of the darkening sky. It was getting late which would explain the cold that was creeping up on me.

"S-Silas?" I croaked out.

My head was pounding along with my wrist. Something just didn't feel right and the feeling intensified when I finally managed to sit up. I pressed a hand against my lower stomach and frowned. My stomach felt tender—like I've been kicked multiple times in the same place. I raised my uninjured arm and pressed shaky fingers to my temple. Dried blood coated my fingers when I lowered my hand.

I shook the dizziness away and slowly stumbled to my feet. My stomach rolled with nausea as the dizziness intensified. I struggled to breathe through it. Squeezing my eyes closed, I leaned against the tree until some of the dizziness faded. Only then did I straighten and risk moving.

My heart dropped to my stomach when I finally spotted Silas a few feet away. I cried out and hurried towards him. Dropping to my knees next to him, I reached out but didn't touch him. I had no idea where to touch him without causing any more damage.

"Oh god."

I stared at the deep gashes covering his chest, arms and even his face. He had a wound on his arm that was so deep that I could actually see the bones. I leaned over him and carefully pressed a shaky hand against his cheek and slowly slid it lower. Panic hit when I realized that I couldn't feel his pulse. My eyes dropped to his chest. It was moving up and down like he was taking deep and slow breaths. But I knew better.

My Silas was dying.

"Help!" I screamed. "Somebody help me!"