33. LUCAS: DEAD

I elbowed my way through the crowd until I reached the front where yellow police tape prevented me from going any further, but I could already see enough.

The house had been blown up. All that remained was ashes.

My eyes darted over the policemen who were searching through the debris. From the look of things nothing had been found yet. Dare I hope that the bodies of the Hunters I killed were taken care of too?

I licked my lips as my eyes darted over the ground. If the bodies hadn't been destroyed then the people were going to start asking questions. It was something we couldn't afford.

Had Silas and the others survived or not? Had they been kidnapped or were they dead?

What am I going to tell the twins?

My thoughts were interrupted by the prickling of my skin. Someone was watching me.

I lowered my head to hide more of my face and then glanced around from beneath my lashes. Had some of the Hunters stayed behind to make sure that we left town? If that was the case then I needed to get back to the twins as soon as possible so we could leave.

But I couldn't risk leading them back to our hideout.

Movement from the corner of my eyes had my head snapping to the right. A woman was trying to push her way through the crowd towards me.

Spinning around, I hurried away as fast as I could. Angry shouts spurred me on to move faster. Finally free, I glanced over my shoulder and caught sight of the blond still hot on my heels. She glanced up and for a few seconds our eyes locked.

Her lips parted as if she wanted to speak but I didn't stick around to hear.

I took off running in the opposite direction from where I came from.

The only weapon I had on me was a knife. I left the gun behind in case they needed it. Fuck! I had no idea if they knew how to use it or if it would trigger bad memories from Ariana's kidnapping.

After running four blocks, I slowed and glanced over my shoulder. My eyes widened in surprise. The woman was still behind me and quickly starting to catch up.

I glanced around. Taking a left, I headed into the alley. The only hiding place there was were two dumpsters. I hesitated a moment before I darted behind one and crouched.

I held my breath and waited.

Her footsteps echoed around the brick walls. "Son of a bitch!" she hissed when she reached the wall that blocked the exit of the alley.

I stepped out of my hiding spot, blocking her only escape route.

The woman spun around as if sensing me. She froze and took me in from head to toe.

"Y-you look bigger up close," she muttered.

I raised an eyebrow and tilted my head to the side. It was interesting how she studied me because I knew exactly what she was looking for.

"I don't want to fight you," she told me. "I'm only here to give you a message."

My eyes narrowed. Her voice sounded oddly familiar but I couldn't remember where I'd heard it from. I tensed when she reached into her jacket.

"It's a note," the woman muttered.

She pulled a folded piece of paper out, hesitated and then took slow steps forwards to hold it out to me.

"Read it."

I glanced around and then looked at the note again.

The woman wasn't a Hunter but that didn't mean that she wasn't working for them. Humans were easy to manipulate when you used their weaknesses against them.