2. LARA: MY SAVIOUR

My eyes darted up to the clock as I made my way over to the doors. The last customer just left, finally. It was almost two on Saturday morning. Tomorrow I needed to be back here by five pm again. Maybe Saturday would be better than yesterday. Maybe there wouldn't be any mix-ups with schedules. Maybe I wouldn't have to try and handle it all alone. Maybe I'd even see Mr. Tall dark and handsome again.

A scoff fell from my lips. Yeah right, what were the chances of that happening?

"Lara."

My eyes snapped towards Kenzie who was leaning with his elbows against the bar. "Yes?"

"I need a favour," he said softly.

"Sure." It couldn't possible any worse than this. "You want me to lock up?"

He nodded. I followed his gaze as he glanced around the bar. It was a mess of course and I was expected to clean it up before I locked up. I bit my lip to stop the groan from escaping. Why had no one decided to show up for work? All I wanted to do was get home and crawl into bed after a nice warm bath to sooth my aching muscles.

"I'll pay you overtime."

I gave him the brightest smile I could master. "Now you're talking. This place will be speak and span for you tomorrow."

"I don't doubt it." He walked around the bar and hesitated. "I'm sorry about the mess up. It won't happen again."

And then he disappeared down the hall that led to the back door leaving me all alone. Loneliness seeped into me as I started cleaning. I yearned to have someone to go home to—to have someone who would rub my achy muscles and let me unload everything about my day onto them. I yearned for someone who would be there to understand what load I was carrying on my shoulders.

I cleared the tables and carried the dishes to the back. After wiping the tables, I placed the chairs on the tables and cleaned the floors before heading to the back to clean the dishes. By the time the bar was sparkling clean, it was almost four. I was tired and hungry and I wanted to do was go to bed.

Instead of using the back door to exit, I went through the front door. I made sure the door was locked before walking away. The streets were empty and lit with street lights that flickered on and off which was kind of scary. I reached inside my bag as I crossed the street. My fingers brushed the small metal can of maze I had bought shortly after I started working at the bar. A noise drew my attention but it was too late to react.

An arm sneaked around my waist and a hand slammed down on my mouth. I screamed and trashed as I was lifted from the ground. My bag slipped from my fingers when the man spun me around and slammed me against the wall. Pain shot through me when I back connected with the cold bricks. The smell of alcohol filled my nostrils when the man leaned forward. His body pressed against mine, making fear fill me. Numbness spread through me. I was in trouble, I knew it, but I couldn't do anything.

"Fucking bitch," he snarled against my ear. "I'll make you pay."

That voice. Shivers raced down my spine. Adrenaline hit, replacing the numbness. I pressed my hands against his chest and pushed but the man barely moved an inch. He shifted slightly and gripped my wrists. Tears burned the back of my eyes. I should've called a cab.

"Y-you can take anything you want," I croaked. "I have five dollars in my purse. It's yours, just please let me go."

"I don't want your money," he snarled.

He stepped back but kept his firm hold on my wrist. The moment my feet hit the ground, I kicked out. He groaned as my foot connected with his crotch. The man stumbled back, letting go of my wrist. I didn't stick around to find out how badly I hurt him. I took off running, only to bump into another hard chest a few seconds later.