76. LARA: GOOD NEWS

"A very congratulations to you and your mate," the doctor said softly as she zipped her bag. "You need to follow my instructions of you might risk having another miscarriage. Lots of bed rest, Lara, and no shifting."

"Why?" I asked her with a frown. "Will it harm the baby?"

She frowned. "I'm not s sure. You're a bit different from my usual patients." She smiled to soften the blow of her words. "I've never treated a human who had been turned by bite. Silas told me that these unexpected shifts make you feel sick afterwards."

"So that happened because I'm pregnant?"

"Yes. Your body needs to adjust to all these sudden changes." She straightened with her bag clutched tightly in her hand. "I'll see if I can find some more information but in the mean time just take it easy."

"I will. Thank you."

With a nod, she turned and made her way towards the door.

"Hey doctor," I called before she could leave. "Don't tell Silas. I want to tell him myself."

With a small smile, she stepped out of the room but left the door slightly ajar. I could hear Silas asking her a bunch of questions but the doctor smoothly avoided all of them before she left. I leaned back against the headboard as I waited for Silas. It wasn't long before he entered the bedroom.

I took in his worried eyes as he walked over to the bed. Taking a seat on the edge of the bed, he placed his fists on either side of my hips and leaned down. His eyes darted over my face in question.

"So? What did she say?" he asked after a moment.

I smiled at him and without saying a word, reached for one of his hands. Straightening his fingers, I guided his hand towards my stomach and pressed it against it. He stared at his hand for a few seconds before his eyes snapped up to mine in question.

"Lara?" His voice cracked slightly. "What. . .?"

"I'm pregnant," I whispered. "I'm pregnant Silas."

"We're going to have a baby."

He smiled and then surprised me when he wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me against him. I hugged him just as tightly as I tried to fight the tears that were threatening to fall. Silas didn't try to hide his at all. I could feel them dampening my skin.

"Fuck, I can't believe it!" he yelled. "We're going to have a baby!"

"Congratulations."

The voice had both of us freezing. Silas's hold slowly loosened as he pulled away from me. I saw the flash of pain before he masked it like he usually did with his emotions. Silas glanced at his brother over his shoulder and smirked.

"Looks like your boy will grow up with his niece after all," he said to Ethan.

"Niece?" Ethan walked over to the other side of the bed and took a seat. "How do you know it's going to be a girl and not a boy?"

"I don't." Silas winked at me. "I'm just taking a wild guess here."

I rubbed a hand over my slightly rounded stomach. How had I not noticed before? How I could already be showing was completely beyond me. I couldn't be that far along but the doctor won't know unless I go into the hospital for her to do a more thorough examination. If we were lucky, we might get to see the baby with an ultrasound.

"It might not be my niece," Ethan muttered. "It could be my daughter or son."

I licked my lips and leaned back against the headboard. "I don't understand anything."