52. VALERIA: ALTERNATING THE PLANS

"He's going to be okay right?

"He'll be out for ten minutes, twenty tops."

I hesitantly stepped closer when David bend slightly and tugged Devon's unconscious body over his shoulder. He straightened and turned towards me.

"Why don't you open the door for Wrin, doll?"

I nodded and hurried to the door. Pulling it open, I stood aside for him to enter. Wrin clutched a black bag in one hand and a roll of tape in the other. I quickly closed the door once he had entered and followed them down the hall.

David was lowering Devon to the bed when I entered the room. My eyes widened when I saw the thick chains Wrin was pulling out of the bag he carried. He dropped the bag, placed the chains aside, and reached for the tape again.

"Go change Val," David ordered softly. "Remember to wear something baggy and spray on the perfume Wrin gave you with the letter."

I nodded but still hesitated in the doorway. Wrin tore off some tape and covered Devon's mouth. Pain washed through me. I hated having to do this to him, but it was the only way for us to go through with our plan.

After returning to the pack house, David had pulled me aside. He told me everything—including what was written on the notes that had been delivered to them. He came up with a plan—one to stop a war from breaking out. We could save so many lives by setting up this trap. If we could capture the man all our questions could be answered.

"Go Val. We don't have much time left."

With one last glance at Devon, I hurried out of the room and down the hall. Entering the bedroom, I pushed the door closed and made my way over to the bed. I quickly stripped out of my clothes and reached for the sweatpants. Next were the ankle boots and then Devon's t-shirt. I hesitated as I pulled off the cap of the perfume.

"Time is running out Val. Remember why you're doing this," I muttered to myself.

I pulled a face as I sprayed perfume over my body. Placing the cap back on, I threw the bottle onto the bed. The bedroom door opened as I turned away from the bed. David entered the room and sneezed. My lips pulled up into a smile when I saw the look on his face.

"I didn't mean you need to spray so much."

"You said it confuses your sense of smell."

"It does, but it also makes my nose burn." He walked over to me and dropped something onto the bed. "Raise your shirt for me, doll."

I gripped the hem of the shirt and tugged it up. He stepped closer before holding up a long strap.

"This is for the knives," he explained as he wrapped it around my hips and fastened it. "You have two. Please be careful, these knives are sharp and meant to cut through bone."

My heartbeat increased as he picked up the knives. He held it up for me to see before he slipped it into place. David turned the strap until I had one knife strapped to my back and the other to my stomach. He suddenly dropped to his knees in front of me.

"Do you know how to use a gun?" I licked my lips as I shook my head. "You aim and then you pull the trigger."

He pulled a small silver gun from his boot and then held it up towards me with the barrel pointed towards the door. The gun was small enough to cover only the palm of his hand.

"This is the safety." He pointed to the small button near the back of the gun. "The moment you pull the gun out, you flip the safety. These bullets won't kill us, but it would inflict enough pain to slow one of us down and allow you to go in for the kill."