87. SILAS: A FIGHT TILL DEATH

I gripped the torch a little tighter and stared down at the flame.

It was a struggle to catch my breath. I never knew how hard it would be to set my brother on fire. My eyes darted over to the grave that had been dug the night before. It was deep enough for his remains never to be dug up again. His body was covered with gasoline, wood and dry grass that I was supposed to set on fire.

I took a step closer and froze again.

His screams of pain echoed in my head again. He had suffered so much pain and it was all my fault. I should've tried harder to save him, but I didn't. Had I allowed him to die because a part of me knew that if he lived I would never be able to have Lara for myself? Even if he's dead, he will always have a part of her heart.

Lara would never fully belong to me.

"Silas?" I recoiled from his touch. "Give it to me, I'll do it."

David reached for the torch but I pulled it out of reach. I was going to set my brother on fire once again.

My eyes darted around. Everybody was waiting for me. Once Ethan's body had been set aflame the other families would set their family members alight. It was tradition.

This stupid pack and their traditions.

Blowing out a breath, I stepped forward and after another second's hesitation, I threw the torch down into the grave. It instantly caught fire. I jerked back when a flame reached for me. My skin burned where I had been injured. Sometimes a certain movement would hurt and it would remind me—as it the nightmares weren't a reminder enough.

"From dust you were born and to dust you will return," I heard David utter under his breath. "Rest in peace my son. We will miss you."

It was like a knife being stabbed into my heart over and over again. Ethan would be missed—more so by his parents than by the pack. My hands curled into fists at my sides.

Lara had been dreaming about him. She called him in her sleep and begged him not to leave her. I knew that she wasn't aware of it, but it hurt. It seemed like everybody was only focused on Ethan.

What about me? What about how I felt and what I wanted? What about what I needed?

My eyes darted around. It was customary for me to stay until the last flame died down. To hell with all these fucking traditions and customs. It's time a few things change around here. Ethan should've have done something about it when he took over but like usually, he wouldn't dare defy our parents.

But he never told them about Avery blackmailing him or about mating with Lara, or the possibility that Luca wasn't his son.

"Where are you going, Silas?" Devon called.

I rolled my shoulders and ignored them. I had just made it to the edge of the woods when he grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him. A growl fell from my lips as I shook off his hand.

He glared at me. "Where are you going?"

"To prepare."

"Silas—"

"With time things change. Ethan should've made those changes years ago."

"Ethan—"

"Is no longer here," I interrupted. "I'm Alpha and I'll—"

"Only temporarily."

So that's how it is. I nodded and pushed the pain aside. "If that's how you want to do things." I turned away from him. "Why don't you fill the spot your beloved son left behind then?"