29. DAVID: I WANT ANOTHER MAN?

"How is everything going with the pack?"

Devon briefly glanced up at me before focusing back on the crossword puzzle on the table. "Good," he answered softly. "Some of the older members weren't happy that we changed the traditions to accommodate Val. They think that what my father did was fitting."

I growled. "He almost fucking killed her. How the hell is that fitting?"

He shrugged. "They think it is fair. Wrin is keeping an eye on some of them. They seem to be questioning his every word."

"Do you think our decision is going to cause problems?" I asked softly.

"It already is." Devon sat up and leaned back in his chair. He ran a hand down his face before glancing into the living room to make sure Val wasn't within earshot. "I thought that taking one woman as a mate would finally unite the packs as one. More of the younger generation is accepting of it. It's the elders and all the older ones that worry me."

"Why do you say that?"

"One of the elders suggested that we be evaluated because he thinks that Val has put a spell on us, or something like that. He wanted us to go before the council when I told them that we were planning on taking her as our mate."

My lips twitched. "They should have themselves evaluated if they think up those shit stories."

Devon and I shared a smile. He glanced back down at the crossword puzzle. I allowed myself the chance to study him. His hair was a mess and his cheeks slightly flushed with colour. Like me, he was wearing only a pair of sweats. There was no use in wearing more clothes since we spend most of our time naked with Val. His shoulders were hunched slightly, making it easy to tell that he was tensed.

Something had changed between us. I wasn't sure when it had happened, but it had. We used to joke around and talk freely to each other. But now it felt like he wanted to run in the other direction when he saw me coming. Maybe it had something to do with last night. I hadn't ordered him to do what he did. Devon licked my dick on his own accord. Was that it? Was he feeling as confused as I was?

I've never been attracted to another man. I'm definitely not gay, and the thought of touching another man's cock had always repulsed me. Until him. Until Val. Watching them together made me hard as fuck. I remembered their joined taste on my tongue when he had fucked her on the couch. The funny thing was that I wanted to do that again.

But I also wanted to try more. I had these sudden urges that some might find disgusting. What would he think? The colour drained from my face. What would Val think of me?

Even as that thought flashed through my mind, I couldn't stop myself from looking at him. I noticed the way his nipples had hardened. I noticed the way his muscles moved beneath his skin. I noticed the way the tip of his tongue snuck out to lick his bottom lip. Where they as soft as they looked?

Horror washed through me when I realized how hard I was. I could easily blame mating heat for it, but a part of me didn't want to. I wanted him to know that I got hard just looking at him.

What would Val, my mate, think?

"We need to leave again in three days," Devon suddenly broke the silence. "We can't stay here longer than that."

I nodded but kept my eyes focused on the table. "What have they found?"

"We have some enemies that would use any means possible to destroy us, but we already knew that. It's not the reason we need to leave."

Something in the tone of his voice made me look up at him. "What is it?"

He licked his lips again before glancing towards the hall. I followed his action when he leaned forward. Whatever it was, it was something he didn't want Val to hear.