19. DAVID: TAKING CARE OF VALERIA

Her body was too tense.

Growls rumbled from Devon's chest as he moved inside her. He didn't seem to notice that Val wasn't with him. I leaned forward to stare down at her face. Her eyes were squeezed shut and her cheeks damp. My eyes trailed over to her mouth. She was biting down hard enough on her bottom lip to draw blood. I reached out and moved the hair from her face in hopes of her looking at me, but she didn't. Val turned her head to the side and reached up to grip his shoulders. Something wasn't right.

My lips parted. I was ready to stop him, but it was already too late. Devon's movements slowed and became jerky. His body shook with the force of his release. A second later he stilled. He was panting, trying to catch his breath. Val's tight grip on his shoulders loosened. She pressed her hands against his chest and tried to push him away.

"G-get him off, p-please."

I carefully slid out from behind her and moved to her side. Devon groaned and muttered something I couldn't hear. He pushed himself up onto his elbows but that's how far he got. It seemed like he had no strength to move. I wrapped my arm around his waist and helped him up. Between the three of us, we managed to move him onto his back. Devon blinked up at the ceiling for a few seconds before his eyes slid closed.

Movement from the corner of my eye made my head snap in that direction. I watched as Val slid off the bed and ran from the room. With one last glance at Devon, I bent to grab my pants and then hurried after her. I paused outside the bedroom to pull on my pants. A knock on the door passed without an answer. It was probably best to leave her because it was obvious that she wanted to be alone, but I couldn't just walk away. I pushed the door open and entered the room. It was empty, but the bathroom light was on and the sound of the shower could be heard.

Val was sitting in the shower hugging her knees to her chest. Her shoulders shook but she made no sound. I hesitated. Clenching my fists, I squeezed my eyes closed for a few seconds. We shouldn't have pushed things. She wasn't ready. I opened the shower door and stepped inside. Her body jerked when I slid my arm around her shoulders. Val raised her head and blinked at me. Her eyes were red-rimmed, another sign that something wasn't right.

"Talk to me, doll."

She swallowed. Her lips parted but no words escaped. I tensed when she suddenly threw herself at me. The sob that fell from her lips tore right through me. Something was wrong and I didn't know how to fix it. I pulled her onto my lap and hugged her tightly as she cried. Five minutes later she lifted her head and reached up to wipe her nose. She sniffed. I cupped her cheek and turned her head towards me.

"Look at me," I ordered when she kept her eyes closed.

Val slowly opened her eyes. A few more tears slipped from them. I wiped them away and waited for her to speak. "Aunt told me that it would hurt. She didn't tell me . . . I know I was wet. I was ready but it still hurt. It burned."

"I'm sorry," I muttered. "I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it."

"I did, before . . . you know. After that . . . he didn't wait for me to get used to him inside me."

I frowned. "He should've. He wouldn't have hurt you intentionally, doll."

"He fell asleep."

She laid her head against my chest. A soft sigh fell from her lips. She was disappointed. I couldn't help feel angry at him. He should've been more careful. It wasn't like him. And then again, it wasn't like him to strike out at someone for touching him. He passed out almost right away after he reached his peak.

"It's the drug," I told her. "We use drugs that they created. It comes in handy now and again. Doc Ali gave Devon some of the drugs to help him heal. It would explain why he passed out on you." A thought hit me. "Val, he didn't mean to hurt you. I felt how tight you are. With the drugs still in his system and then the pleasure of your body . . . shit. I don't know how to explain this to you, doll."