11. LARA: OLD FEARS AND SHOCKING SURPRISES

We've been on a total of three dates and all of them has been great. Silas kept it simple but romantic. There has been no repeat of the night we ate—or almost ate—dinner at my apartment. He would kiss my cheek in greeting and my lips when he dropped my off at home.

As the days went by our dates became more frequent. Every time Silas said goodbye the need to keep him with me grew. I didn't want him to leave at all which made warning signals flash through my mind. I thought we were going to keep things light. I thought that we were only going to have a few dates and then he'd want to jump into my past to which he would realize why I froze every time he would touch me.

Last night Silas had taken me on a picnic to the park. It was amazing to just sit there under the stars and talk about random stuff. When we finished our food, we had laid down and stared up at the stars. Silas had made his move then and I hadn't stopped him. I loved kissing him and feeling the tingles his touch left on my skin, but when he slid between my legs with his body on top of me, I froze and panic hit.

I laughed it off, like I always had, but I knew he was curious. He wanted to ask questions and I was afraid that if I told him that he would go running for the heels.

This thing between us wouldn't last. In a few weeks I would have to leave. This time I would be leaving all on my own. And sooner or later Silas would also be leaving to wherever he came from. I barely knew a thing about him.

"Earth to Lara," Andrea called, clapping her hands in front of my face.

I jerked back and blinked up at her. I must've spaced out without realizing it. A small sigh fell from my lips and my shoulders sagged. Her eyes darted over my face but I turned away before she could see anything. It was too late, however, because she took a seat on the couch next to me and scooted closer.

"Okay, spill it. What did he do?"

"What makes you think he did anything?"

"You've been moping around the whole day. Just last night you were excited about your date tonight. I've watched the excitement fade along with you smile dropping. I expected you to be halfway ready by now." She gripped my hand. "Talk to me, Lara."

I licked my lips. "I'm confused," I whispered. "I—"

I shook my head. Leaning back, I glanced around the apartment. Most of the small things had been sold off. It was only the furniture that remained. I pressed a hand against my chest to try and ease the dull throb that started there. The thought of leaving actually made me feel sick. It had everything to do with the man that has been haunting my dreams.

"Lara, has he hurt you?" Andrea asked softly. "Is he pushing you into doing things that you don't want to."

"What? No!" I yelled.

I jumped up from the couch and started pacing. It took me only a few seconds to realize that I was trembling. Andrea was staring up at me with a frown. The last thing I wanted to do was dump my problems on her. She had enough wedding plans to worry about.

Stopping, I sucked in a deep breath and slowly blew it out. After a few more breathes I felt calm enough to take a seat next to her again. She turned towards me and waited.

I swallowed. "I'm falling in love with him."

She blinked and jumped up from the couch. "I knew this was going to happen!"

"You're the one who encouraged me to go for it!"

"I told you to have some fun! I didn't expect you to get attached to him so soon!" She ran a hand down her face. "He's obviously a player Lara! The man is a freaking millionaire and super dodgy! Do you know that he has no social media accounts? I google him and—"