53. SILAS: A GLIMPSE OF THE PAST

"Silas?" A small hand slowly slid into my hair. "Please wake up. You're really starting to scare me."

I stayed silent as I tried to remember what had happened. It took only a few minutes for my hazy mind to clear. The man had held Lara at gun point and then I had felt the jab of the needle and then nothing. Lara!

My eyes snapped open and I shot up but hands gripped my shoulders and pushed me back down. I blinked up at the blurry figure hovering above me. I sucked in a breath and then relaxed slightly as Lara's sweet scent filled my nostrils.

"Where are they?" I croaked.

"I don't know," Lara whispered. "I woke up only a few minutes ago."

"They injected you?"

Lara didn't answer. I opened my eyes, thankful that my vision wasn't so blurry anymore. I had a clear look at Lara's face hovering above mine. Dried blood coated her temple with a few droplets on her cheek. I reached up and tentatively brushed my fingers along the wound.

She gave me a small smile. "He knocked me out soon after you—"

Her words were cut off when there was a loud peep. I was instantly on alert. I sat up and threw my legs over the side of the narrow bed. My body felt weak and nausea assaulted me the moment I climbed to my feet. Lara hooked an arm around my waist when I stumbled forward.

I glanced down at her with a frown. "Did you see what they had injected me with?"

She shook her head. I nodded and the glanced around. The floor was plain cement and the walls plain concrete. A cot was pushed into the corner on one side of the room and a toilet with a basin across from it. There weren't any windows and the ceiling was too high up to reach.

My eyes darted over to the doors. They were made of thick metal and only opened from the outside. I swallowed when I spotted two cameras in the corner near the doors. So they were watching us.

"Silas?"

I turned towards her and pulled Lara against my chest. She clung to me as a sob fell from her lips. We had nobody who would be searching for us. Nobody...Would we die here?

"It's going to be okay, sweetness," I told her. "We just have to work with them until we can find a way out."

"Nobody's searching for us, how are we going to get out of here?"

I hugged her tighter. "I'll think of something."

Pulling away, I led her over to the basin and opened the tap. Leaning down, I sniffed at the water before I straightened. "It's clean."

When I glanced at Lara I found her watching me in astonishment. "You can tell that by smelling it?"

I smirked at her but kept silent. The last thing I wanted our kidnappers to know was the fact that I wasn't human and that Lara knew about it. Unbuttoning my shirt, I tugged it from my pants and then shrugged it off. She stayed silent as I dipped it under the tap and squeezed out the excess water.

Stepping closer, I gently pressed it against the dried blood and cleaned her skin. When the blood was cleaned I got a clear view of the cut on her temple. She winced and jerked away when I touched it.

"It doesn't look too deep," I muttered, dropping my shirt in the basin. "It'll heal but I'm worried about it getting infected."

"I'll be okay." Lara glanced around the room. "We'll be okay."

I hoped so. My hesitation only lasted for a few seconds. I bit my tongue and leaned forward to lick her wound. Lara jerked but stayed still. When I was sure that it would heal from my blood, I leaned back and stared down at it as it started to heal. Picking up my shirt again, I wiped the blood away and stepped back from her.