23. ETHAN: HARD AS HELL

"Harder!"

A grunt fell from his lips as he punched the punching bag with all his force. My eyes darted around the gym and pride filled me as I watched my warriors practising. I've worked my ass off to get where I was. I had to win their trust. I had to show them that I was strong enough to be their leader. I had to show them that I had Alpha blood running through my veins—unlike my brother.

Just the thought of him made rage fill me. I clenched my fists and turned away from my trainees. It's been years since we've talked. I missed him, but there was a part of me that hated him for what he had done to me. He ruined everything and for that I would never forgive him.

"Are you okay?" Caleb asked softly as he joined me by the far wall. "You look like a bull who've just seen a red flag."

I rolled my eyes at him. Only he would think of something like that. Letting out a breath, I slowly uncurled my fists. "Just thinking about the past."

He nodded. For a few minutes we watched the warriors fighting. Caleb suddenly cleared his throat and turned to face me. When he didn't start speaking immediately I knew he was waiting for me to acknowledge him. I sighed loudly as I turned towards him.

"What?"

He swallowed. "Silas is coming home."

My first reaction was to laugh. One glance at his face made me realize that he wasn't joking. Caleb was dead serious. I frowned at him. He couldn't be serious. Silas wouldn't sit foot back here—not after what went down at the cabin in the woods.

"Where did you hear that?" I questioned.

"I overheard your mother talking with your father. David has gone to fetch him. They'll be arriving later today or tomorrow. I couldn't hear exactly when." He paused. "David had informed them that Silas will be bringing his fiancé with him."

That left me speechless for a few seconds. He was engaged? I sneered as I turned away. Who was the lucky woman? Or rather unlucky woman. No woman would ever be happily married to a man like him. He was a troublemaker and a player. No way would he have changed his ways over the last few years. Sudden pain flashed through my chest. The hatred for him was suddenly pushed aside and longing filled me. We used to dream of having one mate like our parents. We had talked into the late hours of the night about our future.

Sometimes I still wished that things were as simple as that. Sometimes I still wish that we never grew apart.

"Ethan?"

I shook my head as I snapped back to the present. "No, you must've heard wrong. They would've told me if he was coming home."

Without waiting to hear whatever he was about to say, I spun around and headed towards the exit. They wouldn't make these arrangements without informing me. They would've told me the moment they managed to locate him.

I ignored the pack members lingering around and headed towards the pack house. It was buzzing with activity. My mother had managed to talk me into delaying my Mating Ceremony for three more weeks. Was this the reason she wanted me to wait? My frown deepened with every step I took. I thought back to the secret meetings over the past few weeks. My mind trailed back to that night in the office. They were all there—including Wrin.

A shudder raced down my spine as I remembered the soft moan of a woman over the phone. That sound has stayed with me for days afterwards. It was a sound that haunted my dreams—a sound that couldn't even be replaced by Avery's moans.

My irritation rose as all blood started to run south.

Slamming open the front door, I stormed down the hall and straight into the kitchen. Mother stood behind the stove, stirring something in a big pot. My stomach grumbled as the aroma hit me. It smelt delicious. I ignored my gnawing hunger and made my way towards her. The woman instantly fell silent when they saw me. I stopped behind my mother and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Ethan, what can I do for you?"

"Is it true?" I instantly demanded.

She froze and then slowly turned around to face me. Her brows were dipped in a frown and her lips pursed. "Is what true?"

"I heard that Silas is coming back. Is it true?"

Her eyes dropped. I knew it was true when she turned back to her task. After a few minutes she confirmed it by one single word. I snarled and stormed out of the kitchen. Why the hell was he coming back here?

"Ethan!" Mom called after me.

I ignored her, or at least tried to. A second later she grabbed my arm and spun me around.

"When were you planning on telling me?" I questioned. "Why wasn't I informed that you've traced him? Why did I have to find out from my Beta that my brother is returning home with his fiancé?"

"Ethan—"

"If we had told you then you would've tried to stop them," my father said as he approached.

"What makes you think that I won't still try to stop them from coming?"

He gave me a smirk as he wrapped his arm around my mother. "Because it's already too late, son. Silas and Lara should be here by tonight."