13. SILAS: AN URGE SO STRONG

"My partner will be flying in over the next week or two. Once he gives the go ahead, we will be moving forward."

"Thank you."

I nodded. The man was still speaking but my mind trailed off. One glance at the clock assured me that I still had enough time to head back to my motel room for a shower before I had to pick Lara up. The thought of her made my lips pull up into a smile. Things between us were going great. After proving to her that she could have an orgasm like any other woman, Lara seemed a lot more comfortable around me.

Sure, sometimes she would lapse into an awkward silence, but it usually didn't last long. She was a breath of fresh air, and I liked it!

"I can't wait to see the final project."

I gave the man a brief smile. "It will certainly look better than what it looks like now." I stood and he instantly followed suit. "If you would excuse me, I have an appointment to get ready for. I'll be in touch with you."

"Of course. Thank you again Silas."

With a nod toward him and his son, I walked out of the building. A glance at my watch made me hurry across the street to my car. I can't believe I'm going to a fucking wedding. I usually avoided these kind of social gatherings. Woman got emotional and men uttered shit they regret later on. But Lara had asked me to be her date. The look in her eyes when she asked me made it hard to refuse. All I had to do was hold out until it was over.

After arriving at my hotel room, I had a quick shower and dressed in the tux I had ordered last night that was delivered this morning. Like all my other clothes it was tailor-made just for me. I liked my clothes comfortable. I also liked being well dressed.

I was just fastening my tie when my cell phone started ringing. A glance at the screen made me growl. I picked up the phone and then lowered it again. Spinning on my heels, I walked back into the bathroom and check in the mirror to make sure that my tie was in place. I grabbed some aftershave and splashed it on before running a brush through my hair. After one last glance in the mirror, I entered the room again.

I had fifteen minutes left before I had to pick Lara up. The wedding was taking place in the church in the middle of town. Lara had told me that it would only be the groom's family, the bride and Lara. No big wedding party or big after party. No need for any small talk. It should be fun.

As I made my way towards the car, my phone started ringing again. Irritation flashed through me. I climbed into the car and then connected the phone to the speaker before pressing the green button. Before I could utter a word Wrin's voice drifted through the speakers.

"Where the hell are you?"

"Well, hello to you. I'm doing great, thank you for asking."

Wrin snarled. "Cut the crap, Silas. Where are you?"

Unease rippled through me. I reversed the car and drove out of the parking lot before answering him. "I'm away on business."

"Business. Where?"

My hands on the steering wheel tightened. "Why?"

Why was he suddenly so interested in where I was? They wanted me home, I knew that, but there was no way in hell I was attending my brother's Mating Ceremony. Something else was going on. I frowned as I tried to figure out what the problem was.

"Listen to me, Silas. You can't mate the woman yet!"

I turned to corner of Lara's apartment building and slowed the car to a stop. My eyes darted around, searching for a parking space, but instead they landed on Lara who just walked out of the building. Wrin was still speaking but his words were drowned out by the sudden ringing in my ears. My breath was knocked from my lungs.