17. ARIANA: ANYWHERE BUT HOME

"I know a great place where we can play," Conner said softly.

My ears instantly perked up at the word "play". We'd been restricted to the front yard of the house where Daddy could see us from the window in his office.

"Where is it?" I asked my new friend.

He wasn't like us, but Daddy said that Conner could stay with us. Wrin called him a human.

Conner was a human.

He was my best friend now.

"It's in the forest." He raised his arm and pointed to the left. "That way."

"I don't know." I bit my lip as I debated it. "Daddy said that we're not allowed to go into the woods alone."

"You won't be alone," he said. "I'll be with you."

Daddy's warning flashed through my mind.

"There are swings and other fun stuff." Conner stood and held out his hand. "We'll be back before he even notices that we're gone."

After a few more seconds of hesitation, I smiled and slipped my hand into his.

"What about Eva?"

Conner frowned. "I don't like her. She'll tell your dad and then we won't be able to go."

He was right.

"Okay."

***

I jerked upright and sucked in a sharp breath. The dream lingered on the edges of my mind for a few more minutes and then disappeared. A few more deep breaths and my heart was beating normally once again.

I squeezed my eyes closed and slowly laid back down. The room was dark but I knew Lucas was close by because I could sense him.

Swallowing, I reached out for the blanket but encountered warm firm flesh instead. I tensed when he moved.

Sheets rustled and the bed creaked. I prepared myself for the harsh light to fill the room, but it never happened. The blanket slowly slid up my legs, over my stomach and to my chin.

"Do you want some water?"

"N-no," I whispered.

Lucas silently settled down next to me again. I hesitated a moment before I turned onto my side and reached out. His icy fingers were the comfort I needed. I entwined our fingers and pulled our hands up to rest under my chin.

He shifted slightly and then settled down closer than he had before.

"Where are we?" I asked him.

"At a friends."

"W-why didn't y-you take me back to the dorm?"

Lucas swallowed loudly. "Because Oliver's still out there."

Just the sound of his name made icy shivers race down my spine. I shifted closer to Lucas.

"You have a history with him," Lucas said softly after a slight pause. "Why does he want you?"

My lips started to quiver as my stomach rolled. A whimper fell from my lips before I could stop it. In order to answer the question, I had to dig up memories that I had buried deep.

"Doll. . ."

I pressed my face to the crook of his neck to breathe in his scent but it was doing nothing to calm me.