19. EVA: HEART TO HEART

It looked like something out of one of the many horror movies I liked to watch.

An isolated place.

Torture instruments.

And blood.

Lots and lots of blood.

But nobody.

All the blood belonged to Ariana.

The first thing I did was look for Ariana's body. But my worst fear had been confirmed. Ariana had been tortured by whoever had kidnapped her.

It all could've gone differently though. What if they had found Ariana dead in that container?

There was a soft knock on the bedroom door and a moment of silence before it opened. I raised my head to see who had entered. It came as no surprise to find Dad making his way towards me.

He sighed as he took a seat across from me on the window seat. Folding one leg underneath the other, he dropped his hand on his lap and stared at something out the window. Silence surrounded us until I couldn't take it anymore.

"Just say it," I whispered.

"Say what?" he asked without looking at me.

"What you came here to say."

Dad turned his head to look at me. "I came here to ask if you're okay."

I scoffed. "After what I saw? No, I'm not okay, dad. I'm—" I snapped my mouth shut and dropped my forehead onto my arms that were folded across my knees.

"There's a reason I didn't want you to see what we'd found, Eva." Dad shifted closer until his knee brushed my foot. "I wanted to prevent you from feeling the way you're feeling now."

"It won't change anything," I muttered.

"No," he sighed. "I don't suppose it will."

Raising my head, I propped my chin on my arm and looked at him. Dad was still watching me with unreadable emotions flashing through his eyes.

"Ari's alive and I know that she's still missing and that there was a big possibility that we might. . ." My voice cracked as tears filled my eyes. "I know I fucked up, Daddy. I don't need you to remind me of it again and again."

"I'm not here to remind you."

"I haven't felt anything from Ari either. I tried to—"

"Will you shut up and listen to me?" he interrupted with a growl.

My mouth snapped shut and my eyes widened in surprise.

"I'm sorry about the things I said. I was angry and scared so I took it out on you." His eyes dropped down to his hands for a second. "You and your sister are the only two that keep me going since...since your mother died. The thought of losing either one of you...it scares me shitless."

His words only made me want to cry harder. Dad had never shown us any vulnerability—even on Mom's death anniversary. To know that Ariana and I were the only ones he was still living for made me feel so much worse.

"Eva—"

"I'm sorry, Daddy!" I cried. "P-please don't hate me."

Dad reached out and pulled me onto his lap to cradle me against his chest like he used to do when I was a little girl.

"No matter what you say. No matter what you do, I will never fucking hate you." Dad pressed a kiss to my temple. "You are my little girl and I will always love you."

I sniffled. "Sometimes it feels like you love her more."

"I love both of you equally," Dad said as his arms tightened.