15. DAVID: ATTACK AT THE CHRISTMAS PARTY

I hated big parties—especially Christmas parties. I've never been a fan of celebrating this particular holiday. It was only a reminder of the family I dreamt about while growing up. I had a shitty life before I met Devon. It was probably why we became friends. I dreamt of having a family like his, and he just wanted to get away from the family he had. He had siblings and two loving parents. He had an education and friends. He was something and I, I was nothing. A runt, but I had learned later on that not everything you see was true. His family put up a front for everyone to see, but behind closed doors. . .

I sighed and forced a smile onto my lips. Smile and wave. Be happy and don't let your feelings show. I glanced around, searching for Val. She would make a perfect Alpha female to our people. The announcement hasn't been made yet. I glanced down at my watch. It'll be made at midnight which was about twenty minutes away. I needed to find her before then.

"Hello, Alpha."

I paused and turned to face whoever had greeted me. My eyes darted down to the little girl hovering in front of me. My eyes took in her tear-stained cheeks. Swallowing, I crouched down so I was somewhat the same height as her. My smile was a little forced but I hoped she couldn't see it.

"Hello, darling. What's your name?"

Her bottom lip started to quiver. "A-Abby."

"Well Abby, what can I do for you?" I asked softly.

She took a small step closer and then hesitated. Uncertainty flashed through her eyes. "I can't," she paused. "I can't find my mommy."

Oh boy. "Where did you last see her?"

"W-we were playing at the ball game. The one where you have to try to throw the ball into the hole." I nodded for her to continue. "Mommy said that she'll be next to it. I looked but she's not there."

I straightened and held out my hand for her. "Let's see if we can find your mommy."

She slipped her small hand into mine and allowed me to pull her closer to my side. I guided her through the crowd towards the games that were set up for the kids. It was almost deserted, and only a few pack members still lingered. I bent slightly toward her.

"Do you see your mommy?"

Her big blue eyes darted around. She shook her head and glanced back up at me. I winced when her eyes started to fill with tears. Any second now she was going to burst into tears. Had I mentioned that I wasn't any good with comforting children?

"What does your mommy look like?"

I listened intently as she described her mother. Giving her a nod, I straightened and turned towards one of my enforcers hovering close by. He instantly stepped forward.

"Search for Abby's mother," I ordered softly. "Bring her to the stage if you find her." I gave him the description the little girl gave me before dismissing him.

Abby was staring up at me. It was the most natural thing to do to bent down and pick her up. She wrapped her thin arms around my neck and snuggled closer. I hesitated before wrapping my coat around her to warm her up. Pack members stopped to stare at us as we passed them. I supposed they found it strange to see me carrying a child.

My eyes were instantly drawn to Val when we entered the square where the big Christmas tree was set up. She was staring up at it with what looked like awe and some other emotion that was hard to make out so far away. I moved closer and paused next to her. She turned her head and gave me a smile that made my knees weaken.

"Do you like it?" I asked her.

"Yes. It's beautiful."

Yes, you are. My smile widened. She glanced back up at the tree before turning to face me. Her eyes dropped to Abby when she pushed up to get a better look at Val. She gave the girl a small smile and stepped closer.

MATED TO SERIES COLLECTIONOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara