28. VALERIA: SIDE EFFECTS

I was surrounded by warmth.

Something soft brushed my skin. I wanted to open my eyes but my lids were too heavy. The lingering pain was a reminder of what had happened. I had taken two marks instead of one because I had mated two men. Two wonderful mates who could've chosen anyone else but they decided to choose me.

"You're not changing any more traditions according to your wish."

"I am the Alpha," he growled. "I decide what's best for my pack and that includes my mate!"

"She's not your mate!" My body jerked when he suddenly yelled. "She can never be your mate!"

There was a loud crash. Glass broke. I held my breath when growls echoed in my ears. Then suddenly there were screams—a woman crying and begging them to stops. I tried to hold onto consciousness but failed.

The last thing I heard was a pained whimper before everything fell silent.

***

"Do you think it's going to work?"

"It has to work."

Someone slowly lifted me. A second later I was placed on naked thighs and leaned back against a hard chest. I whimpered, trying to move away when hands brushed against my arms.

"Shh," a voice whispered against my ear. "I'm sorry, doll. I know it hurts. We'll make it better."

My hands curled into fists. I needed something or someone to cling to. Hands gripped mine and entwined our fingers. I squeezed hard and cried out when something wet brushed down my arms. It felt like my skin was being ripped off. Lips brushed against my hair and cheeks. Soothing words were whispered against my ear.

"Are you ready?"

Ready for what? A body moved in front of me. A brief memory surfaced from being in the same position. I wanted to roll away from them but they held me firmly in place. Something wet brushed against my lips.

"Swallow, baby. Drink it all."

Liquid dripped from my lips and down my chin. It took a lot of effort to part my lips and make my throat work. I swallowed the thick metallic-tasting liquid. It suddenly stopped but only for a few seconds before I was forced to drink more. More and more until it felt like my stomach was going to burst.

"Good girl." A wet cloth wiped my lips.

The arm around my waist tightened and the body shifted. Cool sheets brushed my skin when I was manoeuvred to lie on my side. My hair was brushed away from my neck before sharp teeth clammed down. I moaned and slipped into darkness again.

***

My body was on fire.

I squirmed beneath the sheets but it only made it worse. My breasts felt heavy, they ached. I moaned when my hard nipples brushed against the sheet. Pleasure shot through me straight down to my core. I pressed my thighs together and was shocked to find them sleek with desire. I needed something to relieve the pain. My hands slipped between my legs. I found the hard bud and stroked it until an orgasm washed through me. The ache slowly disappeared, but somehow I knew that it was going to start again. I raised my head and glanced around.

The room was medium-sized with a bathroom off to the left. A dark oak wardrobe was pushed against the wall directly across the bed. On top of it stood a silver bowl with a white cloth hanging over the rim. My eyes darted to the glass that stood next to it. The sudden thirstiness couldn't be denied.

Throwing the sheet back, I slid to the edge of the bed and swung my legs over. My feet brushed against a thick soft carpet. Upon reaching the wardrobe, I instantly picked up the glass and pressed it to my lips. The water was refreshingly cold. I drank the whole glass before placing it back down. My eyes darted to the open door.