74. ETHAN: CAT FIGHT

I was out of my chair and following Silas down the hall within seconds. The only thought running through my mind was that Lara was hurt and that she needed me. When we reached the bathroom there was a loud crash and the sound of glass breaking. Were we under attack? The questions cleared when Silas pushed the door open and rushed inside.

Lara was on her hands and knees on the floor near the basin with blood and glass surrounding her while Avery stood a few feet away already half shifted. My eyes dropped to her hand were blood dripped from her claws. Lara's blood.

"Avery. . ." I snarled but my words died down when I heard a snap.

Silas pushed me out of the way and crouched next to Lara. He placed a hand on her lower back and spoke softly to her. Whatever he was saying wasn't really having a calming effect on her like I knew it was supposed to. Lara whimpered and arched her back. Another bone snapped, quickly followed by another and another.

Avery moved, snapping my attention towards her.

"Lara, breathe. Fight it."

But it was too late. Avery completed her shift and run passed me and Lara was right behind her. I run after them with Silas right behind me.

"What's going on?" Devon questioned when we ran passed him.

Lara and Avery were in the yard, slowly circling each other. A grip on my arm stopped me from moving forward to intervene. I glanced up at Silas who shook his head. He wanted me to stand aside and watch them fight? Was he insane? Lara didn't know how to fight in her shifted form which meant that Avery could easily kill her. Was that what he wanted, for Avery to kill his mate.

I was briefly aware of the others stepping out of the house and joining us. The elders were complaining and my father's were trying to calm them. Silas's hold on my arm tightened when Avery attacked.

Their growls and howls of pain echoed around the trees as they started to fight. Both their coats were already covered in blood. I swallowed and tried to fight the panic that threatened to overwhelm me.

Avery had Lara pinned to the ground with her jaw snapping inches from Lara's neck. My lips parted, but then Lara dug her claws into Avery's stomach and it was enough of a distraction to kick Avery off. Lara struggled to her feet and shook out her fur. She turned and tracked Avery before she lowered her upper body, ready to attack.

Avery was breathing heavily. I could tell that she was struggling to stay on her feet. Lara took that as the perfect opportunity to attack. She had Avery pinned to the ground and her jaw locked around her neck within seconds.

"Enough!" Silas's voice held so much power that my knees actually weakened.

I knew everybody else felt it too because I heard my mother gasp. Silas dropped my arm and stepped forward.

"Grab blankets," he ordered over his shoulder as he made his way towards them.

I watched as Lara growled down at Avery one last time before she got off her and staggered away. She only took a few steps before she dropped to the ground. After one last glance in her direction, I pushed my way through them to grab some blankets from the house.

***

Silas

I ran a hand down Lara's side as I kneeled next to her. My eyes instantly started trailing over her body in search for wounds. Lara only had a few scratches here and there but most of the blood belonged to Avery.

"Breathe, sweetness," I said softly as I leaned over her. "Count and breathe just like I taught you."

"Here."