14 : Close To Freedom

Your POV
My eyes fluttered open for the second time and I knew I wouldn't be able to fall back asleep.
The way Jason reacted to a stupid nightmare was frightening, he was the most dangerous man in America.

The thoughts circled around my head.

'I killed you'

His words wouldn't leave my mind.
He was certainly capable of taking my life and the fear of it every day was like torture.
It had almost been a month since he had ripped me away from everything I had ever known.

The past four weeks had been nothing but hell.
I woke up every morning with a heavy weight on my chest, and always struggled to find the will to get out of bed.
Jason claimed to love me, but I wasn't buying his bullshit.
What was my purpose of being here anyway?
To keep him company?
No thanks, I didn't sign up to this.

I rolled over in the white satin sheets to look at Jason.
His eyebrows were knitted together in a frown, and he was muttering softly in his sleep.
"D-don't take her, please."

On the few occasions Jason had fallen asleep around me, he would always talk.
He would beg, something I would never expect him to do when he was awake.
They were the only times I could hear his feelings, even if he was asleep, some of the things he would say were heart-wrenching.

At some points, I had tried to convince myself to like Jason.
But whenever I tried to act normal, he accused me of manipulating him into letting me go.
There was no way I could live like this for the rest of my life.

I sighed. "I'm sorry Jason."

I pushed the duvet away from my body and shuffled out of bed, careful not to wake him up as I crept to the other end of the room.
Once there, I pulled out a pair of jeans and a black hoodie from my wardrobe.
Quickly slipping into the material, I feared Jason would wake up- and I couldn't imagine the consequences if he saw me up and fully dressed.

I quickly moved towards the door and pulled on the handle.
But the nauseating feeling of someone watching me took over.
I spun around quickly to see Jason sat up in bed, watching me.

His appearance was frightening.
His eyes were wide open.
Too wide.
And they were all black. No white.
All black.
Black as a star.
An empty, glassy black stare.

I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them again and Jason was back in his sleeping position.
I sighed, I was so tired and frightened that I was imagining things.
Too many horror films.

My heart thumped hard against my chest, and the sound of my heartbeat just made the whole situation a lot more tense.
I slipped out of the door and shut it quietly, before racing lightly down the stairs.

Jason's house was so big that at night it looked haunted, but I headed straight to the front door.
I pulled desperately on the handle but it was locked.
"Shit" I muttered in a whisper.
I pulled on my hair in frustration, maybe it was easier to plan this.
Maybe I should just go back upstairs and pretend that it never happened.
As the thoughts raced through my mind, I noticed a window that Jason had forgot to lock.

Rain poured from the sky and lighting flashed, a brilliant shock of white in the inky black sky, then thunderous booms rippled through my body, calling its warning too late.
Was I scared of thunder?
Maybe a little.
Was I scared of Jason?
I was petrified.
It didn't take me long to weigh my choices.
I desperately climbed up on the counter top below the window and hauled myself up the wall, squeezing myself through the tight escape route.
My bones were weak and I yelped in pain as the small space crushed against them, but eventually I slipped out and fell into the mud. "I'm free." I whispered in relief.

But at that moment, I saw the lights from upstairs turn on, I saw Jason walk past a window.
He looked angrier than I had ever seen him.
He looked murderous.

I pulled my hood over my head and began to run through the thick mud, my feet squelching against the sickly feeling.
Blood pounded in my ears as I tried to pick up my pace.
But I wasn't running for long until I heard Jason's haunting voice.

The perishing cold air was unbearably painful. "Y/N, GET THE FUCK BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!" I heard Jason scream.

I turned around to see him running after me. He was pretty far away, but he was moving fast. I forced my legs to run faster, trying to see through the heavy rain.

The mud eventually began to turn to solid ground. The cold night air coursed through my lungs and dried my already parched throat.
It was hard to breathe, but I couldn't stop.
I wouldn't.

Faster. Run faster.

Each step seemed to bring Jason closer, until reality settled.
There was no way I could outrun him.

Suddenly, a familiar sound echoed through the graphite sky.
The sound that carried so much anger, yet could never decide what it was angry for.
A gunshot.

And then I felt it.
The excruciating pain.

I screamed out in agony.
I could feel my pulse pounding through my arm, where blood leaked out from just above my elbow.
I clutched the sticky wound, soaking my hand with blood.
He shot me.

Still refusing to give up, I urged my legs to keep running.
But the shock and pain began to take over, and a wave on nausea rolled over me.
Hot tears streamed down my face, I had never been seriously injured before, I had never really felt physical pain.

My vision began to blur and I desperately fought to keep control of it.
My legs ached as well, but I tried to focus on the fact that I was finally so close to freedom.

So close to normal.

But he was so close behind me.

Too close.

----------------

Thanks for reading :)