20 : Unconscious

Your POV
Jason opened the door for me and I hopped in the car.
Something was clearly bothering him, I wasn't sure if it was how I reacted to how he forced me to kiss him, I wasn't sure if it was the call from his mother and I wasn't sure if it was the fact that he was going to take meds for his bipolar.

It may have been all of it, but I had a feeling it was something else.

He got in the car himself and cleared his throat as he started it up, I bit my lip.

"Are you okay?" I asked.
He didn't answer, I don't even think he heard me.
"Jason." I said, a little louder.

His head snapped up. "Hmm?"

"What's wrong?"

He sighed and rubbed his face with his hand. "Nothing. I'm fine." He mumbled.

"Is it your mom?" I pushed.

Jason shook his head as he began to drive "No."

"Is it what I said? Because I never meant to hurt your feelings. I was just upset." I tried to be comforting.

Jason forced a smile. "I'm fine, babe. Honestly." He said as he focused on the busy road.

"You're not. You can tell me." I encouraged.

He sighed again. "It's about the other night." He admitted.

I looked down at the bandage on my arm, covering the angry bullet wound which had been stitched up by Jason's aunt.

"I don't understand. Are you disappointed that I got hurt?" I questioned.

Jason clenched his jaw. "In a way. I'm disappointed that I couldn't protect you from getting hurt." He muttered. "I always promised myself that I wouldn't let anything happen to you. I wanted to keep you safe with everything I had. I wanted to show you that I would choose your life over mine if I ever had to. I just want to take care of you, that's all."

"Whoever shot me is gone, it's okay now." I mumbled, cringing at the memory of the unbearable pain which I had experienced.

"He won't be gone." Jason said through gritted teeth.

My smile dropped and I furrowed my eyes brows in confusion.
"What are you talking about?"

Jason swallowed awkwardly. "Someone tried to hurt you. On purpose."

My stomach dropped and I felt sick. "But why?"

Jason shook his head. "Don't worry about it, Baby."

"Well obviously I'm gonna worry now." I crossed my arms over my chest and stuck out my bottom lip slightly.

Jason scratched the back of his neck as he stopped at a traffic light.
"I'll take care of it. It'll be alright."
His voice was too anxious to hide the lie.
He wasn't convincing himself.

This was troubling him more than it was me. "Okay."
I said simply.
"Do you know who did it?"

"Yep. And I swear to god, when I get my hands on that bastard, I'm gonna tear him apart limb by limb." He said through gritted teeth, with not even a hint of exaggeration in his voice.

"Who?"

Jason didn't answer me, he just continued on the road.
I felt really bad for what I had said to him.
He just wanted to be loved.
And was it really that hard to give?
Apparently so.

After taking hints that Jason was reluctant in every way to talk about his parents, I was now aware that he had a troubling past and he didn't really understand what he was doing wrong when it came down to me.
Maybe I could work on a friendship with Jason, that was the least I could do.
I hated to admit that I wanted the sad soul to be happy.

"Hey do you wanna stop at McDonalds?" I asked, suddenly changing the subject and breaking the tension.

"What for?" He looked a little pale, it was probably because of how much blood he had given me.

He looked ill and I felt sympathy for him, instantly changing my mind about stopping at a restaurant for food.
"You know what, lets just go home and I'll cook you something." I offered.

Jason furrowed his eyebrows. "You want to cook for me? What have I done for you other than hurt you? I don't deserve that." He mumbled.

"You just look a little sick." I admitted, but as I took closer notice, I noticed he looked very sick.
His eyes were half shut and his hands were shaky on the wheel.
I began to panic for both of our safety. "Do you want me to drive?" I asked.

Jason shook his head. "You haven't got your license." He reminded.

I tried to push the thought of him knowing that to the back of my mind. "But I took a few lessons and I'm worried you're gonna pass out. Please let me." I said, more begging him than asking.

"No, you'll just drive off and leave me somewhere." He said.

In any other situation, I would have jumped at the chance, but this time, I was actually going to get the both of us home.
"Trust me Jason. I promise I won't. Pull over please." I said.

Jason sighed and found a place to pull over. Then he put his address in the GPS and then turned to me.
"You drive home and only home. If you go anywhere else then I will find you, Y/n." He said, his voice was slurred and he was struggling to stay awake.
He should have stayed in hospital longer, probably because he had started moving, it make him feel weak.

I was concerned. "I promise."
Jason took a deep breath and hesitated, I nodded in reassurance.
"Trust me." I encouraged.

He nodded slowly and we both got out the car and emerged into the night sky.
It was cold when I got out, and the night air wrapped itself around me, instantly making my body shiver.

Suddenly, Jason collapsed limply.

"Oh my god." I said in a panic and crouched down next to him, he was unconscious so I shook him violently.
"Jason? Jason, please wake up." I whimpered. My voice was shaky.
"Jason!" I shook him even more. As much as I thought I hated him, I felt my eyes burn.

I felt his pulse but I just couldn't wake him up. I knew it was something to do about the blood loss.

I got back in the car.

I could just drive off right now and I would be free again. But instead, I beeped continuously on the horn, in attempt to get someone's attention so they would pull over and help regain Jason's consciousness.

Cars sped by in the night as if they couldn't hear me. I was sobbing loudly as I desperately tried for help.

Finally, a car pulled over, an older man and his daughter got out of their car and instantly noticed my distress.

The girl looked about my age and her dad was about the age of my dad.
"What's going on?" The man asked in worry.

"My friend passed out and I can't wake him up." I cried.

Did I just refer to him as a friend?
I must be going mad.

The two strangers looked down at Jason who was lying limply on the ground.

The older mans face darkened.
"Jason McCann..." he grumbled.

---------------

Thanks for reading :)