04 : It Breaks His Heart

Your POV

I scurried my way back towards Jason with my arms full of cupcake packets and cake mixture.
Browsing the bakery isle only inspired me to want to bake a cake with America's most dreaded man. How cute.

However, when I turned the corner and saw him leaning against the shopping-cart, my eyes locked on a familiar girl, who giggled at him and occasionally tapped at his arm. He was faintly smiling at her, but his brown eyes were bored and uninterested.
"I've only just moved to this area, maybe you could... show me round?" She fluttered her eyelashes and tilted her head, smiling.

Jason sighed and shrugged. "I'm not too familiar with the area either," He rubbed the back of his neck. "I wouldn't be much help." He lied, sinking his teeth into his bottom lip.

I completed my approach and tapped Jason's shoulder from the side, and he spun around quickly, caught off guard. He opened his mouth to speak, but I just grinned at him and held my arms out to show him all the cake mixture that I had picked up. "Can we get this, baby?" I asked, ignoring the presence of the girl who's mouth had fallen open at the sight of me.

"Uh, yeah. Sure." He nodded his head a little awkwardly as he took the supplies out of my hands and gently placed them into the cart, probably making it slightly heavier and harder to control. I bit my lip and nodded in the direction of he girl, who was still stood about half a metre away from us; her blue eyes wild with shock. "Who's your friend?" I asked, looking at her. She swallowed uncomfortably and blinked hard.

I knew exactly who she was.
Martha Winters.
She went to my old school and had been a bitch ever since my first day, when she threatened to 'beat me up' if I ever went anywhere near her boyfriend; who was actually pretty ugly so I wasn't planning on it anyway.
Still, she was unnecessarily paranoid whenever he glanced at me in the hallway and she jumped to the conclusion that I was sleeping with him; which was literally pathetic.

Jason shrugged. "Um - "

But Martha cut him off, her voice shaky and unstable as if she was looking at a ghost. "You don't remember me, Y/n?" She whispered, fiddling with the silver bangle on her wrist.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pretended to think for a moment, pouting my lips slightly until I eventually sighed and shook my head.
"No, sorry." I shrugged. "Are you sure we've met before?"

She nodded. "I'm Martha," She avoided eye contact with me, and looked at Jason,
I was staring in time to see her expression change from shock, to realisation, to terror.
"I think I should... um... go."

She quickly spun on her heel but I reached out and grabbed her wrist, plastering an obvious fake smile over my face. "Martha Winters?" I beamed, causing her face to colour with confusion and doubt. "Of course! How could I forget?" I shook my head, laughing at my own pretend stupidity.

Jason hooked his teeth on his lower lip. "I think I'm missing something." He declared, looking between me and Martha.

"Martha went to school with me." I confirmed, letting go of her wrist. "I think you were in my literature class, or was that someone else?"
I tapped my chin.

"No, that was me." She squeaked. I nodded, and a horrible silence wrapped around the three of us for a moment, before she spoke again. "I thought you were dead... Everyone thinks you're dead."

"Still?" I raised my eyebrows and rolled my eyes. "C'mon, now. Hasn't Bella told anyone that I was staying at hers for like... two months?" I managed to flinch at my own words, and at the mention of Bella.
She had completely cut contact from me ever since Jason killed her brother, so now, I didn't really have any friends from the past.

"Bella hasn't spoke about you to anyone since you disappeared." Martha said, biting her lip. "There's a memorial for you in the school hall; Chris sits by it every single lunch time. It breaks his heart, he brings flowers every week and - "

I felt the colour drain from my face and my blood ran cold.
Chris.

No.

Impossible.

"What did you just say?" I cut her off.

Martha hesitated, her eyes flickering from me to Jason like a frightened deer.
Jason had been uninterested until he noticed the undoubted look of horror that had definitely been drawn on my face.

"Y/n?" He straightened himself out and furrowed his eyebrows. "What's wrong?"

"What did you just say?" I repeated at Martha, slightly louder. She flinched and was obviously searching her mind for something to say.

"I said... um... Chris sits by your memorial," Her breath hitched "Every lunch... but I don't know if he did it today, cause I moved school last week."

"Chris is dead." I hissed, feeling anger boil in the pit of my stomach.

Jason took a hold of my shoulders and spun me around to face him. He searched my face desperately, wondering what had triggered so much distress in such little time. "Who's Chris, baby?" He asked softly, lifting his hand to cup my cheek.

I could barely get my words out.
"Chris." I spluttered, too shocked to actually say anything. "You... You killed him." I whispered, feeling my heart begin to pound.
I heard Martha gasp, but I didn't care.
I needed an explanation.

"I don't know who you're talking about." He whispered quietly, pressing his forehead against mine to try and calm me down.
"Tell me who Chris is."

"My..." I took a shuddering breath. "My ex."

—————————

Thanks for reading