16 : Don't Leave Me

Your POV

"You're healing nicely." The nurse said as she examined my wound.
I forced a smile and nodded.
"How did it go today?" She asked.

"Good."
She didn't need the details.
Doctors and nurses are trained to fix physical wounds, not emotional ones.

"I'm glad to hear it," she smiled. "It's getting pretty late. Is there anything I can get you?"
She always offered this.
The one thing I wanted, she couldn't bring.

"Can you get Matt to come in here please?" I mumbled.

She nodded and scurried off to find one of my friends.
Out of the remaining gang-members, I was definitely closest to either Matt or Alara, but Alara wasn't coping with this situation any better than I was.
Only seconds later, Matt walked in, hands shoved in pockets and eyes droopy.

"Hey, are you oka-"

I got up out of bed and hugged him as tight as I could. I let myself release all the tears I had been holding back and found myself sobbing uncontrollably on Matt's shoulder.
He wrapped his arms around me gently, trying to comfort me.

"I'm in pieces." I broke down.

"Shh, I know, I know." Matt rubbed my back lightly. "This whole thing is so messed up."

"I'm in love with him, Matt." I sobbed. "And I can't even pluck up the courage to tell him. And he's gonna die, not knowing how I really feel about him." My body shook violently.

"Jason knows how you feel, I promise you." Matt whispered.

"But he n-never got to hear me say it." I snivelled. "We need to get him out of there, they're torturing him."

Matt stiffened. "What are you talking about?"

"He's covered in bruises and cuts. They're beating him and I can't stand to think about it anymore. Please help me save him." I begged, sobbing harder.

Matt moved away and held my shoulders. "Y/n, you need to calm down," he swept his thumb beneath my eye in attempt to wipe away my tears. "How are we supposed to get him out of there? It's guarded by CIA agents."

I gripped Matt's wrists. "I'm not going to let him die."

"Y/n-"

"I remembered everything, I know which turns to take down the corridors, I know which door is his and the combination for the lock is 9524. We just need an agents card and find a way to get the shackles off Jason's wrists."
The moment I said it out loud, it somehow sounded more realistic.

Matt thought about it for a second, and then his eyes widened. "Holy shit, Y/n. We can save him."

To have Matt's support on this made me feel a whole lot better. "We need to do it fast. And we can't let Jason know. Everything in that room is recorded. I'll go down tomorrow and see how the cuffs are locked whilst you guys try to get an agents key."

Matts jaw hung open. "You're a genius." Then he paused. "But how are we supposed to get an agents key, and how is Jason gonna get out of this shit hole without being seen?"

I shook my head. "We'll figure something out, at least it gives him a chance to live."

------------------

Matt explained the plan to Jake, Josh and Alara the next morning whilst I begged the nurse to let me see Jason again.
After around half an hour of practically throwing a tantrum, she arranged for me to pay an unexpected visit.
Meanwhile, the gang were planning how to steal an agent card without getting caught.

I wasn't as nervous about seeing Jason as I was yesterday, but as I waited in the elevator, an uneasy feeling settled in my stomach.
When it finally touched the bottom, the guards lead me through the long corridors that I had tried to hard to remember.
When we reached Jason's door, I felt sick.

I could hear thudding, followed by agitated groans.
It was happening again and I felt torn.

The guards exchanged knowing looks before one of them swiped his card, punched in the combination number and stepped inside, making sure to shut the door behind him.
"That's enough, boys." His voice echoed through the room and carried on through the corridors.

Only seconds later, four men exited the room.
I glared at each one of them, letting them know exactly what I thought of them.
They disgusted me.
The guard followed behind, and I took that as my queue to enter the room.

The sight today was a hundred times worse as yesterday.

Jason wasn't in his bed, this time, he was on his knees and tied to the wall with thick ropes. His chest rose up and down quickly and his hair clung to his forehead, beads of sweat dripping from his face.

I rushed over as quick as I was able.
"Oh my god, Jason." I kneeled in front of him and cradled his face in my hands.

"I t-told you not to come down here again." He said breathlessly, his body was practically limp.

Tears welled in my eyes.
"Why do they keep doing this to you."

Jason didn't reply for what seemed like minutes.
Eventually his body shook and he fell to his side, his wrists bled from where the rope had dug into his skin, his eyes fluttered closed.
"You were my everything."

My heart rate increased dramatically as I began to panic.

"Jason, listen to me. Can you hear me? Are you listening?"

No response.

"Jason! It's going to be okay, alright? I promise, but please say something." My voice and my hands shook as I spoke and hot tears burned the back of my eyes.

Still no response.

"Jason, you're stronger than this. Please don't leave me. I need you." I looked at him through the blur of my tears.

He lay still on the concrete floor and his chest failed to rise and fall.
It's now or never.
"I love you, Jason." I gripped his limp hand, tears spilled from my eyes as realisation came into view.

I buried my face in my knees and sobbed.
He was the one who fought for me, the one who did anything to protect me, who loved me even if I treated him like shit, who believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself.
And now he was gone.

Or so I thought.

"I love you too." His raspy voice filled the room and my heart leapt.

My head snapped up. "Oh my god, Jason. I thought I lost you."
The words barely came out.

Jason inhaled a sharp breath and he winced. "Y/n, you've got to move away, somewhere far where no one can find you." I could hear the pain in his voice and it felt like it broke me.

"I'm not leaving you."

"I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Go."

"Please, just give us until tonight." I whispered, hoping the cameras wouldn't pick up my voice. "We know how to fix this but we just need time." My heart ached, I wanted to feel him.
I wanted to wrap my arms around him and feel him.
I regretted all the times I pushed him away, because now I wanted him more than ever.

"Tonight?" His voice was broken.

"Tonight."

"I'll-" He inhaled deeply again, as if someone had sucked all the air from his body. "-try."

----------------

Thanks for reading