33 : Pushed away

Your POV

"Y/n. Y/n, wake up." I felt a hand on my shoulder, shaking me gently.

I fluttered open my eyes to see a blurry figure lingering over me, I waited for my eyes to focus to see Jason.

His eyes looked tired and bloodshot, and his light brown hair was messy.

"I'm awake." I groaned, propping myself up on my elbows.
I looked around the room and everyone was up and dressed, with the most saddened and angry looks on their faces.
"what's wrong?" I asked.

Jason took in a shaky breath.

"The house was bombed last night." He clenched his jaw.
I felt my heart stop beating for a few moments. So much had happened in the last 24 hours, it was too hard to take in.

"I don't understan-"

"Neither do we. all I know is that my house was bombed last night and Luke still has my files. We're gonna have to find somewhere to go."

I got out of the bed and pressed my hand to my forehead.
"I'm sorry."

Jason shook his head and tossed me some fresh clothes. "Hurry up. We have to go." He said.

I felt my heart ache. The guy from yesterday, the one in the wall, was not the same guy looking at me right now.

I knew he was angry and I hoped he would cool off.
I scurried off to the bathroom and changed quickly into new black jeans and a white top.
As I twisted my long hair into a ratty pony tail, I caught a glimpse of my reflection.

I barely recognised the girl staring back at me. My dark eyes were lost in the bluish-black shadows around them and my olive skin looked pale and washed our against my white top.

Maybe this was why Jason was being so cold.
I sighed, too self conscious to look at myself anymore.

I stepped back outside the bathroom and everyone was waiting for me.
Watching me as if I was a rare animal in a zoo. Jason rubbed his face tiredly and opened the door.

---------------

On our way to Lockhart, the place we had decided to stay, we all felt the crave to eat something, so we decided that's what we were going to do.

We were sitting at a table in a diner, after a plate of pancakes and a cup of coffee, I felt like myself again.

Kaine stirred his chocolate milkshake with a straw. "I think I'm going to be sick."

Alara rolled her eyes.
"What did you expect? You've already had two."

Kaine pushed the glass in her direction. "Want the rest?" He asked.

Alara eyed the glass. "Too many calories."

I noticed Jason was sitting alone at the bar, staring into his glass of soda blankly.

I walked over to the empty seat next to him. "Can I sit with you?"

"Of course." He didn't look up.

"I'm sorry about your house." I sighed. I needed to say it out loud.

"Why are you sorry? It's not your fault."

I looked out the window, my stomach twisted in knots.
"I know."

"It's what you get if you poke a hornets nest. It was going to happen sooner or later."
Jason rubbed his eyes and I realised how tired he looked.
The kind of tired that went way beyond a lack of sleep.