22 : Torn Paper, Torn Family

Your POV

"I'm back." I opened the door to mine and Jason's room, holding the plastic carrier of supplies from the story.
The door swung open and slammed against the wall, waking Jason up.
He groaned at my noisy arrival.
I raised my eyebrows.
"Are you seriously still in bed?" I chuckled.

"Yeah, I'm exhausted." He rasped, pushing the duvet away and patting the empty space beside him. "Come lay with me."
I nodded and put the supplies on the floor, then I climbed into the bed in the comforting presence of Jason.
He instantly wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to his chest.
"Where've you been, baby?"

"I just went to the store with Alara to pick up a few things." I nuzzled further into him.

"Like what?"

"Just stuff for the journey back to Ben's house, I also picked up some pain-killers for you." I mumbled.

"What about you?" Jason looked at me and lightly ran his fingertips along my shoulder.
My healing wound was covered by my t-shirt and the half-a-roll of gauze that was taped over it, but Jason knew it was there. "Did you get any painkillers for yourself?"

"I don't need them." I pecked his soft lips. "I just want you to get better."
Jason's lips curved into a perfect smile and he pressed his forehead against mine.
I smiled back in satisfaction. "I also had to pick up the morning-after-pill." I added, chuckling.

Jason's smile dropped and he looked confused. "Why?"

"Cause you forgot the condom last night, stupid." I shook my head and laughed.

Jason's expression didn't change. "What are you talking about? I didn't forget. I didn't want to use one." He mumbled seriously.
I stopped laughing.
"You haven't taken the pill yet, have you?" He asked.

"Yeah, I took the first one in the taxi on the way back here." I said, suddenly feeling uneasy.

"Why did you do that?" Jason frowned and I could hear a hint of irritation in his voice. "What if I wanted a kid?"
My jaw literally dropped open.
Me and Jason were practically kids ourselves, there was no way we could manage with a baby.
Especially with the way things were right now.
But before I could ask him about it, the frustration on his face was replaced by a beautiful smile and he burst into fits of laughter.
"I'm kidding, babe."

I sighed in relief. "Oh my god Jason, don't do that to me." I covered my face with my hands and laughed along with him.

"Don't worry, baby," he chuckled. "I don't want kids just yet." He gently pried my hands away from my face. "But one day, I'd love to have a family with you." He placed a tender kiss on my forehead.

Speaking of family...

I thought about the letter I had found in Jason's pocket and the guilt immediately settled back inside my stomach.
I wasn't sure if I should talk to him about it.
Talk about it or forget about it.
I sucked my teeth, weighing my choices.

My silence caused Jason to frown.
"Something wrong?" He mumbled.

"No," I replied almost too quickly. "It's just that..." I trailed off, deciding against it.

"Just that what?" His eyebrows knitted together and his voice was serious.

"Never mind." I shook my head.

He pulled me closer and tightened his embrace. "Tell me."

I sighed, piecing the words together in my head. "I put your jacket on to go to the store, and I found a screwed up letter in your pocket."

I felt Jason's body physically tense against mine.
He hesitated. "And you read it?"

The awkwardness in the room increased dramatically and it only felt right to pull away from Jason's grip and sit up in bed.
Jason did the same, eyebrows furrowed and muscles tensed.

"Yeah." I mumbled, looking down.

Jason's face twisted with an anger that I could tell he was trying to control.
"What the fuck, Y/n?"

"I'm sorry," I spluttered out. "I tried to stop myself but-"

"But you obviously didn't try very hard," he suddenly snapped, pushing a hand through his floppy hair. "That letter is private."

"I know, and I should've known better." I said timidly, shaking my head.
Jason rubbed his large hand over his face in frustration, muttering under his breath.
I bit my lip.
"Maybe you should go and see h-"

"No." Jason said sharply, glowering at me. "I don't want her to have anything to do with my life. You shouldn't have read that fucking letter, Y/n, it was between me and-"

"Maybe I fucking read it because you keep everything from me."
Something inside me snapped and I raised my voice, heart pounding, blood racing.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Pain and anger carried with his words, lingering in the room like a ghost.

"You don't tell me anything," I spat. "You haven't even told me about your stupid mission that you're supposed to do. How the hell am I supposed to support you if I don't know anything about you." I tried to keep my voice loud enough to show that Jason's secrets were really getting to me, but not loud enough for everyone outside to hear our argument that was heating up quicker than an oven.

"I'm trying to keep you from getting hurt, Y/n. Why can't you understand that?" The anger in his voice became clearer.

"Because I get hurt anyway, Jason. What difference does it make? We've both come so close to dying. Wake up." I pushed the duvet away and got out of bed.

"Where the fuck are you going? I'm not done talking to you." He hissed.

I ignored him, I knew he wouldn't follow me out because of how battered his body was, I left the room and grabbed Jason's jacket from the coat hook.
Alara shot me a knowing glance as I spun on my heel and headed back towards the door.

"Here," I threw the jacket at him and re-entered the room, making sure to slam the door behind me. "I'm sorry for reading the note. I can't take it back, so all I can do it apologise."

Jason fumbled with his jacket and pulled out the folded piece of paper from the pocket.
He opened it up slowly and his hands shook, his eyes scanned the tiny writing for a moment and I could tell he was re-reading it.
"This letter should've been sent three years ago." Jason's jaw clenched and he ripped the delicate piece of paper right down the middle. "Not after my dad dies and my mother realises she's got no one."
He tossed the two pieces of torn paper off the side of the bed and they fluttered to the ground.
With that, Jason laid back down and pulled the duvet over his head.

Nice one, Y/n.

------------------

Thank you for reading