77 : The Girl I'm Gonna Marry

Your POV

"Are you down here, babe?"

Jason's raspy voice echoed through the hallway and carried through the air into the living room, where I was sat hugging a cushion to my chest and watching a surprisingly interesting documentary about homeless dogs.
It was the morning after our argument, and believe it or not, I had actually managed to get some sleep straight after it.
After recharging, I definitely felt better.
Not healed, but better.

"Yeah." I called back, not taking my eyes off the flickering screen.

Jason entered the room moments later, holding a thin t-shirt in his hand and rubbing a white fluffy towel over his damp hair.
His chest and stomach were still bare after his obvious shower, and it was impossible to miss the dark mysterious bruise that blemished his abdomen, I hadn't noticed it before, but decided against questioning him.
"Morning." He said casually, and acting as if last night's conflict never even happened. I was grateful for that, and didn't want to bring it up. He waltzed around the back of the couch and pressed his lips against my neck from over the side. "You okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded and smiled faintly, turning my neck in an awkward position to look at him. "Are you?" My eyes couldn't help but flicker over his bruise, and he most definitely noticed but kept quiet.

He pulled the t-shirt over his head and straightened it out over his body, concealing his stomach. "Yeah."
Then he jumped over the back of the couch and bounced down beside me like a five year old.
I tried to widen my subtle smile as he curled his arm around my shoulder and pulled me closer to his side. "What are you watching?" He mumbled when his eyes landed on the TV. "Is this that 'Marley And Me' film?"

"No," I stifled a quiet laugh. "Just a documentary about dogs, it's pretty good."

"Oh." He said with a single nod.
He shuffled against the cushions with a sudden uneasiness for a moment, before reaching for the remote on the glass coffee table and pausing it.
I furrowed my eyebrows, but didn't have any time to ask what he was doing before he spoke.
"So, uh..." He scratched the back of his neck. "I got a phone call this morning."

I knew what this meant, and I sighed.

"Where do you have to go this time?" I said immediately, rolling my eyes and slouching down against the couch in disappointment.

"No, it's nothing like that."
Jason promised before I could sulk about him disappearing to do God knows what. "Actually... the call was from my mom. She's invited us to lunch today, and y'know..." He shrugged, expecting me to guess the rest of the sentence. I remained silent for a moment, my eyes slightly wide from the mention of his mother. "Maybe it would be good to get out of the house, and I know how much you wanted to meet my mom properly... But only if you're up for it."

"You want to have lunch with your mom?" I asked as if I hadn't heard him. My tone sounded dumb, but I was that shocked that I just didn't care.

"I went to her house after you left, and I realised that I needed to fix things." He said. "I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable though, especially after what happened last time you saw my mom... and the time before in the supermarke-"

"Jason," I stopped him before he could get the chance to begin to babble. He looked at me and tugged on his lower lip with his teeth, waiting on an answer. I knew how sensitive the subject of family was to him, and his visible nerves shone through. "I'd love to have lunch with your mom." I nodded reassuringly.

"Is today a good day though?" He ran his hand through his damp hair. "We can always reschedule until you're feeling better if you want."

"Jason, stop it." I shook my head and gripped his hand. "Today's fine."

"Are you sure?" He looked at me uncertainly.

"Yeah," I nodded before pushing my body even closer against his. "Why are you so nervous?"

"I don't know," He shook his head and forced a laugh. "This is just a big deal to me. When I was a kid, I always used to say that the first girl that I introduced to my mom would be the girl I would marry," He shook his head further and his dimples appeared in his cheeks. "It sounds cheesy now, but it's a good memory."

My lips tugged up slightly. "Do you really think we're gonna be married one day?" Despite the pain of losing Samantha, my heart fluttered and a subtle wave of positivity washed over me.

Jason furrowed his eyebrows as if my question was stupid. "Of course we're gonna be married," He said. "I wouldn't want anybody else, Y/n." He tightened his arm around me and planted a delicate kiss on the top of my head.

I found myself grinning and I rested my head against his chest. "Ditto."

—————————

This would've been longer and more interesting if i wasn't tired to the point where i want to sleep for ever and ever and ever

i have the worst throat infection and i'm supposed be in a singing competition on saturday lol rip

NEXT ONE OUT TOMORROW AND IT WONT BE PAINFULLY BORING SORRY