76 : You See Me

Your POV

The kitchen door creaked open, and it was only then when I realised I hadn't moved since Jason left. My hands were quivering and my eyes were full of unshed tears; undoubtedly triggered by my loneliness and the fact that I was overthinking about literally everything.

Jason entered the room and shrugged off his leather jacket before hanging it on the back of one of the kitchen chairs, his features were mostly shadowed by the eery darkness of the room, and I could only just make out his stony expression, which made me feel slightly uneasy.

He didn't notice me at first because of the the complete absence of light, but for some reason, I didn't have the courage to make a noise and let him know that I was here. 
I wasn't scared of him; but something about his presence felt foreign and intimidating.

I watched warily as he quietly shuffled over to the kitchen counter beside the sink, and he carefully filled up the pearly white kettle, before setting it back down and switching it on.
He was clearly exhausted; he had slept, but not very much.

He didn't look away from it until the raising sounds of the bubbles turned into a high-pitched whistling. Then, he slowly began to make a coffee, and the sweet aroma suddenly filled the air and masked the faint smell of smoke that was coming from him.

Eventually when he was done, he placed a steaming mug right in-front of me and pulled out a chair. The legs screeched against the floor, and I cringed.
"You've been sat here since I left, haven't you?" He muttered, breaking the silence, sliding into the chair and then pushing the coffee further towards me to signalise that he had made it for me instead of himself.
I took a shuddering breath and looked at him mindlessly, before nodding slowly.
I could only just make out his jaw clenching and his hands tightened into fists on the table.
"I was gone for eight hours, Y/n." He stated, his tone lacking emotion.

I wrapped my hands around the hot mug and avoided his burning gaze. "I was worried about you." I mumbled.

I felt a sudden tension between us and became more conscious of his body language. "I told you not to wait up. You need to rest." He let out an exasperated sigh and pushed his hand through his hair in some sort of sudden irritation.

An uncomfortable silence passed, and when I spoke, my voice sounded like it didn't belong to me, and that I was eavesdropping on the conversation. "Where did you even go?" My voice cracked unintentionally, and I mentally kicked myself for appearing so weak.

Jason's stare intensified and he hesitated before speaking. "You don't need to know."

I inhaled another shaky breath and pressed my lips together in a thin line. "So are we back to this?" The backs of my eyes burned with hot tears. "Are we back to all the lies and secrets?"

Jason switched his gaze to the mug in my quivering hands and his eyes squinted. "What are you talking about?" His tone sounded bored, and I stared at him in a mild disbelief.

"You're not telling me where you've been." I muttered, feeling unnecessarily hurt by the fact that he was being so dismissive with me.
Thoughts of the possible places he could've been flashed through my mind like a bad dream, and I instantly felt paranoid and intimidated.

"Y/n." He looked back up at me, and despite the darkness of the room, I could make out the warning look that he held in his dark eyes. "Don't."

I furrowed my eyebrows and my sadness began to slowly develop into anger. "Don't what?"

"For fucks sake," He hissed suddenly, avoiding my question. "Just shut up." He propped his elbows on the table and buried his face in his hands. "I don't want to talk about it."