27 : Incapable Of Love

Your POV

The same woman from the supermarket bathroom stood in the doorway.
She looked exactly the same as I remember;
Long, dark hair.
Icy blue eyes.
Petite, slim figure.

I was lost for words when I saw her and struggled to know how to react. She obviously didn't recognise me one bit but I didn't mind.
"Um, hi. I'm Y/n." I said stiffly.

The woman gave me a warm smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Hi, Y/n." She said politely. "I don't mean to sound rude, but do I know you?" Her voice was soft and calming.

"No," I shook my head, heart racing. "But I felt the need to come here. I think I can help us both."

Jason's mom looked hopelessly confused. "I think you've got the wrong house, honey." She said eventually, with a kind smile.

"I haven't," I insisted. "I'm-"
I wanted to say Jason's girlfriend, but I didn't have that title and it honestly disappointed me. Instead, I took a deep breath and shook my head. "I know your son."

The woman was standing just over a metre away from me, but I could feel her tense.
"You know Jason?" She whispered, her eyes widened and I nodded. I watched her intently as she started to realise.
"You're the girl from the bathroom." Her voice shook in awe and I nodded again.
"You're the girl Jason kidnapped!" She covered her mouth with her hands and stared at me for a moment before reaching out. "Come here, honey."
She pulled me into a motherly hug.
It was the type of hug that I had been craving ever since my mom died.
I found myself hugging her back tightly, wondering how Jason could ever decline an offer to reconnect with this woman.
When she pulled back, she snivelled and her eyes were glossy. "Come inside, sweetheart."

I stepped inside her homely cottage and pulled off my trainers. "I'm sorry Jason isn't here." I mumbled, shutting the door.

Jason's mom nodded sadly. "I didn't expect him to come. I'm just grateful that you did. I've been dying to hear about him, hopefully something good about him, instead of the things they say on the tv."

I nodded. "I'd love to tell you about everything that's happened. As a mother, you deserve to know." I gave her a reassuring smile. "Is it Miss Mallette?" I asked.

"Oh no dear," she shook her head. "Please, call me Pattie."
The moment those words left her lips, I felt like I had a family again.
Jason and his mom didn't have a relationship anymore, but with Pattie's everlasting love for her son, I prayed that it could be fixed.
"Follow me through to the living room honey, can I get you anything? Tea? Coffee?"

"No, thank you,"
As I trailed behind her through her average sized home, I noticed that all the pictures on the walls were of Jason. From adorable baby photos to pictures of him looking around fifteen years old.
One that caught my eye was a photograph of him hugging a girl.
She was a lot smaller than him and smiled a toothy grin at whoever was taking the picture, Jason was looking at her lovingly.
She had sandy blonde hair and hazel eyes, and something about her looked familiar.
"Who's that?" I pointed up at the framed picture.

Pattie turned to see what I was looking at, and when her eyes landed on the picture, she stiffened.
"Samantha," she said, trying to smile. "She was Jason's sister. He adored her. They never ever quarrelled like normal siblings." She said.

Jason has a sister?
"Why doesn't he still see her?" I asked.

Pattie took a shaky breath. "She was murdered when she was thirteen. Jason's always been troubled, but he was never the same after that."