14 : A Promised Death

Your POV

I sucked in a sharp breath.
Have I really lost him?

Have I really lost the boy who made my stomach flutter every time he kissed me?

Have I really lost the boy who fought for me, even when I didn't fight for myself?

Have I really lost the boy who meant more to me than I could ever tell him?

Alara's tears rolled slowly down her cheeks.
"He's alive." She repeated. "That's the truth."

"Are you serious?" I sounded almost too hopeful.

"Yes." Alara nodded.
Relief washed over me and tears of joy welled in my eyes.
"But," Alara's voice cracked. "The doctors don't think he's gonna make it. He was shot in the stomach, and he had to have surgery to remove the bullet. And even if he does survive, it's not going to be good for him. The CIA knows he's here."

My heart sank to my stomach.
"Tell me everything, please."

Alara took a shaky breath. "We drove to the closest hospital, both you and Jason were losing a lot of blood and if you guys didn't receive medical care soon, you were both going to die. When we got to the hospital, CIA agents were examining a body that had been found at a crime scene, obviously one of them recognised Jason," she paused to piece the words up in her head, trying to make them easier to say and easier to hear. "He's being held in an underground ward, the bullet from his stomach has been removed but he's in critical condition. His wrists are chained to the bed, and he's completely separated from everything. It's the law for the doctors to help him heal, but after that..." a sob caught in Alara's throat. "If he survives, he'll be thrown in jail whilst the CIA discuss what they're gonna do with him." Alara looked me straight in the eye. "They're gonna give him a lethal injection, Y/n. They're gonna kill him."

When she was finished, I could barely speak.
"No..." the words barely came out my mouth and slow, pearl shaped tears rolled down my cheeks.

Every memory of him flashed through my mind and I realised something that should've been obvious.
I'm in love with him.
I felt it every time I looked at Jason, every time I touched him.

I'm in love with Jason McCann.
And now he's going to die.

"I'm sorry, Y/n." Alara's voice cracked.

"This can't be happening." I covered my mouth with my hand, trying to find the right words. "I can't... I can't lose him." Every single word became thicker and harder to say. "I love him."

"I know." Alara nodded, tears rolling slowly down her face.

"I need to see him." I whimpered.

"I doubt anyone will allow it." She shook her head.

"If the situation was flipped, Jason would find a way to get to me. I am not letting go of what we have. It's something special."

"If he survives the bullet-wound, you'll be allowed to visit him in jail, but-" she stopped herself, realising that her words were only making this harder.

I bit my trembling lip and longed to have Jason's arms wrapped around me.
I couldn't help but picture him in chains.
Weak and defeated.
I wondered if he was conscious and aware.
What if he hadn't woken up since he got shot.
I couldn't stand the unknown.
Tears slid down my cheeks and my heart broke a little more.