Chapter 42: Not Myself

I was shocked at myself for getting some work done. At times I would shut out all Elena had said but just as I did that the words would sink in my brain. You’re 21 Jade, you have more than enough time to find someone. It was so easy to say yet so hard to believe at times. I heard the door open and prayed it was not Elena.

“So what really happened?” Demi said coming in with a sympathetic expression. I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Just leave it,” I said to her.

“No, come on Jade, we both know Elena can make things seem more extreme than they are,” she said.

“I just told her the truth about Marc,” I said.

“Which is?” Demi asked not knowing what I was going to say.

“He’s a player Demi, Cesc told me,” I said.

“What?” Demi asked astounded.

“He is an open relationship type of guy, he isn’t faithful to one girl,” I said.

“You told Elena this?” she asked me and I could see she was comparing the conversation she had with Elena with me.

“I did and she just refused to believe it, she kept saying “but what is she’s the one for him”,” I said.

“It is possible,” she said and I sighed expecting another argument, “But I don’t believe a player will just change.” She agreed with me and I looked up at her in relief.

“Well he barely knows Elena,” I said.

“Yeah but you know Elena, she falls hard for guys and then learns it was all just some dream in her head,” she said.

“Yeah but I get blamed for sticking with reality,” I said and then thought about what Elena had said to me.

“What?” Demi asked picking up on my thinking.

“Nothing,” I replied automatically.

“It’s not nothing, I can tell,” she said.

“It’s just stuff Elena said,” I said and before she could even as me anything further, “Look I don’t want to go into it.”

“Look whatever she said, she was just emotional, I’m sure she didn’t mean it,” Demi said trying to make me feel better.

“You didn’t see the way she said it,” I said to her.

“Jade,” she said comfortingly.

“Look some things I know she’s just emotional but you didn’t hear what she said. It-,” I said thinking about it, “Look let’s just leave it.” Demi could see I didn’t want to speak about it.

“Ok but you need to tell me eventually ok? You might be a bit too realistic at times and worry like crazy but you’re always happy. Now, you’re not even smiling,” she said to be looking at me concerned. I plastered a small smile on my lips.

“I’m fine, you know me, I just think a lot,” I said.

“Ok, well I have meetings now but we need to sort out this whole Elena, Marc thing,” she said as I nodded at her. She went towards the door.

“And Jade,” she said as I looked up at her.

“Elena screws up more than you, I mean I screw up, you’re always so careful and you tend to never really mess up. What I’m trying to say is that Elena still loves you and no matter what she’ll always come around,” Demi said. I nodded at her as she went. She was right, I knew Elena cared about me but I just hated the way she had spoken to me. It was not one of our normal conversations. I decided I needed to clear my head. I was so focused on what Elena had said I forgot to have lunch. I began walking towards the cafeteria. When I got there it was mainly empty. It was a bit late and most people had already eaten. I went to the machine and clicked the latte button. While I was waiting my mind drifted but I was soon shaken from my thoughts as I felt a finger poke me.