Chapter 10: What The Heck Just Happened?!

We all felt as if we had been punk’d. What had happened to all the dreams we had? This was supposed to be the internship of our lives and yet here we all were in an office that was so disorganized.

“I don’t understand,” Elena said.

“Yeah I agree, there has got to be an explanation for this,” I said as I began to attempt to clean up.

“Well I did say we had no idea what we were in for,” Matt said.

“Yeah but Matt, something about that guy, it’s like he’s setting us up for failure,” Nate said.

“Not like. He is. What an arrogant guy. I can’t stand him!” Elena said frustrated.

“Yeah did you see how rude he was with me?” I said.

“You know what I think? I think he’s trying to get to us. Look, he said interns don’t normally make it but he does not know who he’s talking too,” Matt said proudly.

“Actually Matt is right, you know what we are going to prove that we are the exceptions,” I said confidently.

“Jade! The fact that you are feeling confident means that we can do it! We just have to work very hard,” Elena said.

“Yeah maybe you guys are right, but we need to get this office sorted out,” Nate said.

There was a knock at the door and as Matt was the closest, he opened it. We saw four older people standing there.

“Ola, we are all going to be your mentors,” the older man replied,” But first we need to know what you are all studying so we know where to put you,” he said as he spoke with a Spanish accent. He was of normal height, with dark hair and dark eyes.

“Well good morning,” Matt said smoothly, “I’m Matt Reynolds and I am studying law,” he said as he shook hands with the man.

“I see so you will work under me, Arbelardo Marquez. I work in the finance, advertising and player contracting department. As a lawyer I draw up many of the contracts with my team for the club.” He said.

“I see, so where would I be starting then?” Matt asked.

“Well nowhere near the department for now”, he said as Matt gave him a look of confusion.

“You all need to prove yourselves, meaning we all are going to need essays from each one of you,” he said. “For you Matt I need a 12 page essay on how you think the club should manage the finances and a contract example.” We were all not expecting this.

“Now I assume one of you is studying psychology from the list I have,” a woman with a soft voice but also spanish accent said. She had chestnut hair, green eyes and friendly face.

“That would be me, Nate Tatum,” Nate said as he shook her hand.

“I see, I need an essay on a player’s emotional stability throughout the season but I would also like it to be personalized to the current players.  As long as it’s over 10 pages it is fine,” she said with a friendly smile.” Oh and my name is Abella  Madera. Well, good luck,” she said with a smile and she walked off.

“So which one of you is studying medicine?” a male asked.

“I am. My name is Elena Riveira,” Elena said with a sweet smile but it did not seem to work, the man simply looked at her.

“ I need a document with every players health history in extreme detail and the issues that could happen in the future. My name is Diego Carrera,” he said and extended his hand for her to shake.