Chapter 55: Just Talking

“Miss Avery huh?” Leo asked me with a slight smile once we were out of earshot.

“Apparently,” I said.

“You told him to call you that?” Leo asked me.

“What do you think?” I asked him sarcastically as he shrugged his shoulders.

“No,” I said.

“Wow,” he said thinking to himself.

“What?” I asked him.

“I didn’t think Cesc would think you are that much of a threat to Daniella but I guess I’m wrong, I had no idea,” he said to me. I didn’t understand what he meant.

“What do you mean?” I asked him.

“Cesc has a few female friends but he never calls them by their surname, even in front of Daniella,” he said as I actually stopped walking for a second.

“What?” I asked Leo. This made no sense. Cesc told me beautiful women were a threat but here Leo was telling me that I’m the only one who he calls by her surname? Maybe then he just doesn’t consider me a friend.

“Look, Daniella can be a bit difficult, I’m sure Cesc is doing what he thinks is best,” Leo said defending his friend.

“You mean lying to her?” I asked him.

“He’s not really lying,” Leo said.

“He claims I’m just some worker!” I said annoyed with Leo taking his side.

“I’m not saying he’s right Jade,” he said calmly and I now felt bad for raising my voice a bit. I calmed down immediately. “And you’re not just some worker.”

“I just don’t see the big deal,” I said.

“The big deal of what?” Alexis said to the side of me, “Very nice jacket by the way,” he said staring at it.

“Thank you, it’s Leo’s,” I said.

“Really?” Alexis said looking at Leo, “I could have given you one too,” he said pausing, “If you came with me.”

“Mine are worth more,” Leo said jokingly as we all laughed.

“For now,” Alexis said playfully.

“Jade,” I heard a voice say and I knew it was Ibrahim.

“Ibrahim, hey,” I said normally. It seems I could finally speak normally to him. He was about to speak when Alexis spoke.

“How’s the girlfriend?” Alexis asked him.

“Not good,” Ibrahim said and I felt myself feel a bit happier but guilty at the same time. “I don’t know what Pique was thinking.”

“She can’t be that bad,” Leo said.

“She just isn’t my type,” he said shaking his head.

“There you are, I’m ready to go,” Ibrahim’s girlfriend said coming from behind and grabbing his hand. Ibrahim nodded.

“I’ll see you around Jade,” he told me as I smiled at him. He could say my name in front of his girlfriend so why couldn’t Cesc? I just don’t get it! Miss Avery, what is that?! And what does Leo mean?

“Jade?” I heard Alexis say and I looked up to see Leo and Alexis staring at me.

“Sorry, I was thinking,” I said.

“We could see that,” Alexis said.

“Well I must be going,” Leo said.

“Good luck for tomorrow’s game,” I said to him.