Thank You Taylor Swift

Set in AU

Dean Winchester and Castiel Novak had been best friends practically forever. 

Well, not FOREVER, but they had been since they were four, and Dean's family had moved in next door after their old house had burned down.

The two boys quickly became inseparable. Their bedroom windows faced each other, and they spent years stringing cup phones, tossing paper airplanes, and coming up with secret codes to stay in touch.

Dean was the first, and only person who ever called Castiel "Cas" 

Unfortunately, the boys started to drift apart in middle school, when Dean joined the football team, and Cas was more interested in books and video games.

Their friend groups involved different people, and at school they barely spoke to one another. But once they got home, they were still as close as ever. They still had sleepovers at least once a month, and whenever Dean didn't feel welcome in his own home, he knew he was always wanted at Cas's. 

Castiel was terrified when he realized that he was gay, for he feared it would ruin his relationship with Dean. But he had nothing to worry about. In a late night confession at a sleepover, Cas told Dean he was gay. 

Dean was the first person he told. 

And his friend was totally cool with it, and even secretly admitted that he himself was bi, although it was to be kept a total secret. 

Cas agreed, smiling, and overjoyed that nothing between him and Dean would change.

And when Cas came out as gay to the school, Dean was the only popular kid to support him completely, a fact that surprised everyone. But Dean didn't seem to care about all the teases that said he was Cas's boyfriend. He just wanted to make sure his best friend was happy. 

Dean and Castiel were always there for each other. They understood each other and could talk about things they couldn't with anyone else. 

When Dean's mother died of cancer, Cas was there for him the whole time. They even put a plank of wood in the gap between their rooms, so that it would be easier for Dean to come over.

And when Castiel's father left, Dean was there for him every second.

And when Dean's little brother got sick, and Dean was so afraid of losing him like he'd lost his mom, Cas was always there to reassure him.

They were best friends, after all.

It wasn't until their junior year in high school that Cas realized he was completely in love with Dean Winchester. This, he knew, would be the thing to break their relationship. Dean wasn't interested in him. Dean was dating the head cheerleader, Lisa. No one would give her up, especially not for geeky Castiel Novak. 

But Cas didn't wallow away his disappointment. He took his feelings, and started to randomly burst into song in his room, usually whenever a Taylor Swift or Avril Lavigne song came on his radio. 

He didn't know that Dean would watch him dance around his room, singing at the top of his lungs, or that the Winchester boy loved it.

He didn't realize that Dean Winchester slowly fell in love with him too.

Sometimes Cas would invite his friends from school over, and all of them would act all goofy and sing along, using water bottles and hairbrushes from Cas's sister as microphones. Charlie loved it the most, and she and Cas would do the wackiest things during their duets.

But there was always someone Castiel would rather be singing with.

And he didn't realize that Dean watched Cas sing with Charlie, and envied them. He was a popular kid. He had a reputation to uphold. He wasn't allowed to be seen singing along to Taylor Swift in Castiel Novak's bedroom. He had to be a football star, and date Lisa, who he HATED. He despised their entire relationship.

Then there was one day. Castiel, as always was singing in his room with Charlie and their friend Garth, when Cas's favorite song came on.

It was "You Belong With Me" by Taylor Swift. Charlie teased him about it, but Castiel thought it was the perfect song to describe his life.

So he started to belt out the lyrics with all he had, unaware that Dean was watching him.

Dean, who had found out earlier that day that Lisa had been cheating on him, so he had just broken up with her.

Dean Winchester, who was fed up with the popular act, and of hiding who he really wanted to be.

Dean bloody Winchester,  who was done with watching from afar, and was GOING to be with his best friend- no. With his soulmate.

So he left his bedroom, just as Cas jumped on his bed, and pointed in the direction of Dean's room, belting out the lyrics, images or Dean and Lisa  clouding his mind.

"Walkin' the streets with you and your worn-out jeans," he sang.

I can't help thinking this is how it ought to be

Laughing on a park bench, thinking to myself

Hey isn't this easy

And you've got a smile that could light up this whole town

I haven't seen it in a while since she brought you down

You say you're fine

I know you better then that

Hey what you doing with a girl like that

She wears high heels

I wear sneakers

She's cheer captain and I'm on the bleachers

Dreaming about the day when you wake up

And find that what what you're looking for has been here the whole time

If you can see that I'm the one who understands you

Been here all along so why can't you see

You belong with me

Standing by and waiting at your back door

All this time how could you not know

Baby, you belong with me

You belong with me!"

But then the door to Cas's room opened, and he, Charlie, and Garth whirled around to see Dean standing in the doorway, focused and frozen on Castiel. 

Cas paused, and turned his attention to Dean as he kept singing, less confident then usual.

"Oh, I remember you drivin' to my house in the middle of the night

I'm the one who makes you laugh

When you know you're about to cry

And I know your favorite songs

And you tell me about your dreams

I think I know where you belong

I think I know it's with me." He stopped, now standing just a few steps away from Dean. Dean smiled at him, and took the hairbrush microphone, belting out the last chorus.

"Can't you see that I'm the one who understands you

Been here all along so why can't you see

You belong with me

Standing by and waiting at your back door

All this time

How could you not know

Baby you belong with me

You belong with me

You belong with me

Have you ever thought just maybe

You belong with me"

"You belong with me," He and Cas sang in unison. Then, in a split second decision, Dean grabbed Cas's shirt, pulled him close, and kissed him.

Charlie let out a screech, and Garth cheered. Cas gaped at Dean as they broke apart.

"Thank you Taylor Swift." he whispered, wide-eyed. Dean let out a laugh.

And, cheesily as it may be,

They lived happily ever after.