Punk and Nerd

Set in AU

Lawrence High was a big school. Grades have hundreds of kids in them- you could go years and never pass the same kid in the hall twice. It made sense that you didn't know everyone.

So Dean Winchester wasn't surprised that there was a kid in his English class junior year that he didn't know. But once he met him, Dean just wanted know how he had gone this long without seeing him.

His name was Castiel Novak, went by Cas. He wore combat boots and black eyeliner that made his blue eyes pop like lightning. Owned at least three leather jackets, and had sex hair that mad any girl looking for a bad boy drool. He had a pierced ear and a nose ring, and Dean was positive that there was at least one tattoo lurking under the ratty T-shirts he wore.

Cas Novak was a kid you could spent hours staring at, and never run out of new details to find.

And Dean was good at finding details. His eyesight was terrible, but thick glasses fixed that. Dean was a nerd. A straight A student who wore cardigans and bow ties on days when he knew Doctor Who would be on. He was smart. Too smart for Lawrence High, if you asked his teachers, and yet, smart as he was, he still felt drawn to Cas Novak.

He didn't used to. But then day one of 11th grade English, Cas had strutted through the door, and examined the whole class as everyone stared back at him. Not many boys in Lawrence wore eyeliner.

But, out of the whole class, Cas had walked up to Dean.

"Nice shirt," He had commented, sliding into the seat next to Dean. Dean half smiled. It was an old, ratty Panic! At the Disco shirt, but it was his favorite.

"You like Panic at the Disco?" Dean questioned. Cas smirked.

"Of course I do," He declared. "Look." Cas pulled up the sleeve of his jacket, revealing a small inked tattoo of the band's logo, fit with the words "I write sins, not tragedies"

"Well then I guess I don't have to ask what your favorite song is," Dean presumed. Cas laughed.

"What's yours?" Cas questioned. "Favorite song, I mean."

"Miss Jackson is one of my favorites," Dean admitted. 

"Cool."

Dean didn't know that a simple choice of a T-shirt could spark so much.

He and Cas became quick friends, partnering up in class, walking around. They even ate lunch together, a fact that Dean's friends found weird.

Cas didn't have many friends, if any. He didn't really talk to anybody at the school, but he talked to Dean. Dean liked learning about him. There was just something about Cas- he wasn't like anybody else. And maybe that's what Dean liked about him.

He learned, for instance, that Cas had exactly six tattoos, including the Panic! At The Disco one.

He let Dean see most of them one day, when it had been warm enough out and Cas had taken off his shirt.

Dean's breath had caught in his throat, a bit speechless with how toned the teen was. But Cas didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

"What's that one mean?" Dean asked, pointing at a tattoo over Cas's ribs. It looked like some sort of rune writing, similar to hieroglyphics, if Dean wasn't mistaken. 

"It's a warding," Cas offered with a smirk. "Keeps me safe from bad guys."

"Fascinating." Dean offered, examining the tattoos.

His favorite by far was the one on Cas's back though. It was an intricate sketch of a pair of wings, their feathers sinking all the way down Cas's back. Cas shivered slightly as Dean traced the pattern of them.