Ellie

Set in AU

Cas and Dean Winchester were a happily married pair with a six month old daughter named Ellie. They lived in a little house in Lawrence. Dean was a mechanic, and Cas.... Well, Dean wasn't quite sure what Cas did, but it was at an office, and he was very good at his job, whatever it was. 

But Cas's job kept him busy. He had a strict schedule to follow, unlike Dean, who could just pick up hours with Bobby whenever he wanted. And that schedule hurt Cas's heart because all he wanted to do was stay home and be with Ellie and Dean, especially since he still didn't entirely trust Dean alone with the baby.

And seeing as Ellie was in a clinging stage where she only wanted Cas near her, he got the feeling that even the baby didn't want to me left alone with him.

Not that Dean was a bad father or anything. He was great! Cas just sometimes worried about Dean's lack of maturity when it came to their daughter.  

But it didn't help Dean that Ellie was in a phase that didn't favor him. Dean was pretty sure, actually, that Ellie hated him.

"Dean!" Cas's call came from their bedroom. It was early in the morning, so Dean made breakfast while Cas got ready for work. "I gotta take a shower, can you get Ellie up?"

"Yep," Dean replied. They tried to wake Ellie up when they got up, it was some weird sleep schedule thing Dean didn't get, but he went with it anyway. Cas was the baby expert, not him. Thankfully for Dean, Ellie was already awake when he reached her crib. She stared up at him with wide blue eyes, looking wary.

"Hi Ellie," He grinned, picking her up. She whimpered. "Come on, it's just me," He studied her and she stared back, her face slowly scrunching up. "Please don't." A loud wail echoed throughout the house as Ellie started crying.

Dean sighed.

"Yep," He nodded. "You hate me." She only cried louder as Dean ran through the checklist. Diaper change? Nope. Some sort of teething pain? Nope. Hungry? Possibly.

Dean took her into the kitchen, grabbing one of the baby bottles from the fridge. Ellie only shoved it away, starting to hiccup as she cried.

Nope. Not hungry. 

He tried pretty much everything he could think of, or had read in the dumb baby books Cas had bought. It didn't help that every book had completely different advice, but he tried them all anyway. Talking to her, rocking, bouncing, you name it. 

Nothing. And babies were resilient. They could cry for ages and ages and never stop.

"What do you want?" Dean finally whined. He glanced at her, Ellie still his arms, held again his shoulder. "I can't help you if you don't give me a sign or something to work with." She only wailed again.

"Having some difficulties?" Cas guessed, walking into the room. His hair was damp from the shower, and he was only wearing a pair of black pants.

"I tried EVERYTHING," Dean groaned. "She just won't stop." 

"Let me try," Cas suggested, taking Ellie from him. Ellie quieted as he did so, her crying dropped from full on screaming to soft sniffling as she clung to Cas's neck, looking miserable.

"You have got to be kidding me," Dean shot him a bitchface and Cas shrugged, a smirk on his face.

"I can't help that she likes me better."

"She doesn't just like you better, she HATES me,"

"She does not hate you."

"Yes she does." Cas rolled his eyes.

"Well I have to go finish getting dressed, so you take her."

"She'll only start crying again,"

"Too bad." They passed the baby again, and Ellie instantly started whimpering, glancing over at Cas with a nervous look. "I'm right here," Cas insisted, tapping her nose. "And I'll be right back." She started whimpering again the second Cas was out of sight, and Dean set her down in a high chair with a sigh.

"I don't know why you don't like me," He commented. "Cas likes me, and you like Cas. Shouldn't you have to like me by extension or something?" Ellie blinked at him, but she didn't cry. Dean made a face and went to pour some coffee. The crying from before was still ringing in his ears, and he was sure both he and Cas would need the holy fuel that was coffee.

"She hates me," He repeated as Cas walked back in, now properly clad in a white button down and a suit jacket. His tie was slung around his neck, undone as he reached for a cup of coffee.

"She can't hate you, she's your daughter," Cas objected. "She loves you."

"Oh really?" Dean turned to Ellie and raised an eyebrow. "Do you hate me?" Ellie stared at him.

"Do you hate Dean?" Cas asked. Ellie started laughing, and Dean shot him a deadpan look. He walked over to the high chair and dropped down so that he and Ellie were at eye level.

"I really don't like that you don't like me," Dean admitted, frowning and putting on a sad face. Ellie stopped laughing, and she frowned, looking up at Cas.

"See? She's upset that you're upset," Cas offered. "She cares about your feelings, and therefore, does not hate you."

"She hates me," Dean muttered. 

"Well, I don't." Cas leaned over, pressing a quick kiss to Dean's cheek. Dean half smiled, because Cas was Cas and Cas could always make him happier. Ellie smiled, because Dean wasn't looking sad anymore, and in her mind that meant he must be happy. Dean sighed and stood up, tying Cas's tie because he knew his husband would never figure it out on his own.

"You should really learn how to tie one of these,"

"I do know how to tie one,"

"Then why don't you?"

"Because you do it better," Cas insisted.

"Wow."

"Just being honest,"

"You always are," Cas glanced at his watch and groaned. 

"I gotta go," He gave Dean a quick kiss, pressed another one on Ellie's forehead and headed out the door. Dean and Ellie watched him go, the front door closing behind him.

The second it shut, Ellie burst into tears.