Saving Dean

*Feels*

Castiel had watched over the Winchester boys since the day Dean was born. It was his mission, after all. His sole purpose was to protect these boys-

Well, Dean to be specific.

But as soon as Dean became a big brother, Castiel knew that Sam had to be protected just as much. Sammy meant everything to Dean, and Dean meant everything to Castiel.

The hardest thing about Castiel's job was the one rule he had been given.

He was not to interfere with the Winchester's lives. What will be, will be. Castiel was to observe Dean Winchester until he was given further instructions from another angel.

That was all. 

But as Castiel watched Dean Winchester's life unfold, his job went from being easy to very, very difficult.

When Mary Winchester died, Castiel cried and longed to venture down to Earth, just for a second, to give Dean the hug he so badly needed.

Watching Dean being brought into the hunting life felt like a stab to the angel. He had seen what hunting did to other people, and Castiel hadn't wanted that life for Dean at all.

Then there was the fatal day that everyone in heaven remembered.

Dean Winchester was ten years old, and he had made a mistake. 

And his father hit him for it.

Castiel had lost it, screaming and swearing and demanding that he be let down to Earth to rip John Winchester to shreds. His rampage was never forgotten by the other angels, and that marked the moment where they all realized how much Castiel truly loved the Winchester boy.

John Winchester had struck his child, but it wouldn't be the last time. Every time he was mad, or Dean did something he considered wrong or disappointing- Dean had to pay the price.

And Castiel was forced to sit back and watch it, unable to do anything other then swear revenge and scream, and cry. He cried, cried for the boy he loved, but couldn't help.

Heaven became more of a hell while watching Dean in pain.

But no matter how bad John hit him, Dean always went to the same person to patch him up and make him feel okay again. Bobby Singer.

Bobby Singer, in Castiel's opinion, was more of an angel then half of the ones in heaven. He was the one who would reassure Dean that it was okay, that he'd make the pain go away- that Sam would never know just how awful their father really was.

And when Dean was fifteen, Bobby Singer became the human that Castiel was most grateful for.

When Dean was fifteen, he had a crush. Castiel wasn't surprised, for Dean always had crushes. But this crush was on a boy, which was something Dean had never had before.

The elder Winchester boy had realized that he was not straight, but rather, bisexual. The change didn't make a difference to Castiel- he adored watching Dean get flustered by the cute boy. But it made Dean nervous. Made him afraid of what his father might do.

It slipped out of Dean's mouth one day. He accidentally slipped up, and told John that he liked a boy. John's reaction was so harsh that Castiel thought he might be sick, despite not having the actual ability to be sick. 

The night after, Dean stood shakily in Bobby's bathroom, his physical wounds patched up by the old hunter. But the realization that his father hated him for something he couldn't control- that left a gaping hole in Dean's heart. Castiel longed to fill it, but he knew he couldn't. Not yet.