Six Months Old

Set in AU

Dean and Cas Winchester had been married and out of the hunting life for three years now. They lived in a small town, that was free of monsters, and Dean ran a mechanic shop in town. Cas didn't have a job, but he hadn't taken over a role similar to Bobby's, making sure that anything supernatural that popped up was being taken care of by one hunter or another.

The two were happy together, and had even adopted a little girl a few months ago. Her name was Ellie, and tomorrow, she'd be turning six months old.

That occasion made Cas very excited, and he wanted to find a way to celebrate it, but Dean disagreed. 

Something had been off with Dean recently, and as the ex-hunter got more and more tense each day, Cas was growing worried. So the angel decided to consult the best source he had on the quirks of Dean Winchester.

"Sam, I'm worried about Dean." He began, on the phone with the younger Winchester. Sam was currently out in California, having returned to college to finish Law school.

"You're always worried about Dean," Sam replied. 

"No- something's up with him, and I don't know what it is." Cas explained. "He's been so tense lately, and he keeps getting jumpier and jumpier. He seems so distant, and I don't know what to do."

"When did this start?" 

"Last week, when I realized that Ellie was going to be six months old. Every day he just gets worse, Sam. It's starting to freak me out." Sam paused, knowing exactly what Dean must be thinking.

"Okay, I think I know what's going on," He admitted. "When is Ellie six months?"

"Tomorrow."

"Well, don't worry, Cas. Dean'll be back to normal after that."

"But WHY? What's wrong?"

"It's....It's complicated, Cas. I'll talk to him." The angel sighed.

"Can't you just tell me what's wrong with my husband?"

".....No. I think Dean should be the one to tell you." Cas scowled.

"Well, thanks anyway."

"He'll be fine, Cas. I promise."

"If you say so." They hung up, and Cas set his phone down, turning to smile at his daughter.

"Who wants to make breakfast without blowing up the toaster again?" He asked. Ellie let out a shriek of delight.

*****

DREAM OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!! Aerosmith's signature voice echoed through the garage, and Dean quickly wiped the grease and oil off his hands before answering his phone.

"Sup Sammy?" He asked, giving the car he was working on a once over.

"Hey Dean." Sam replied. "How are you?"

"Fine." Dean raised an eyebrow. He and Sam talked all the time, but Sam's tone made it sound like he was building to some touchy emotional talk that Dean did NOT want to go through with.

"You need to take a chill pill."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, Cas called me this morning, and he's freaking out because you're acting weird."

"I'm not acting weird."

"Uh huh.So you're completely fine with the fact that Ellie will be six months old in two days?" Dean paused.